HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Is it my shooting or something else?.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/236907-my-shooting-something-else.html)

lemoyne 03-11-2008 02:55 PM

RE: Is it my shooting or something else?....

Their are some guns that just dont shoot Power belts well, Have you run the powder ladder? With PB I would start at 70 gr and go up to 90 in 10 gr increments if you feel you must use those overly expensive pellets try a 50 gr and a 30gr with the 30 on the bottom. I suspect your gun just dont like PB's it happens; you might try some Sabor Tooth bullets from harvestor, I personally think that type of bullet was out dated when they invented inlines. I have a set of different thickness sabots and a selection of different bullets I try in a new gun some of them always shoot 6 inch groups but almost always there will be a few that will shoot around an inch and when everything is right get a group under and inch. But you just can not force a muzzle loader to shoot some thing it dont like.
You will have to run the powder ladder with every thing. I even had to switch powders with my new Triumph it just dont like Pyrodex which is what I normally shoot have to use 777 in it but with 777 and a 50/40 200gr SW or a 250 gr Gold Dot it will hold an inch when I am shooting good and there very little wind.
Muzzle loaders take a little time and learning but when you get the hang of it its a lot of fun, Lee

HuntAway 03-11-2008 04:50 PM

My Omega shoots two types of bullets really well. They are the 300 gr Nosler Partition HG PP and the 340 gr DeadCenter by PR. Powerbelts shot like hell and if I could get a 4" group at 50 yds it would have been special. The XTP's, 250 Noslers and TC maxi Balls all shot poorly from my Omega.

The PR's with T7 pellets worked nicely and the 300 Noslers shot well with T7 loose.

So long story short........Experiment more. I've found a new home for the XTP's (with my Renegade)and the maxiballs and hunters are melting material for jig heads.;):D

edit: I forgot the SST's didn't do all that great either at 100 yds.

gt2003 03-11-2008 05:01 PM

Try a different bullet. I'm partial to the precision rifle dead centers but that's just me. I would definitely go with loose powder also. Good luck and let us know what you end up with. Greg

RobertSubnet 03-11-2008 06:51 PM

Frontier Gander has agood suggestion when he says to try using the open sights.

If you can get a consistent grouping (somewhere) on paper with the open sights that would definately point you toward the scope/scope rings. It might also eliminate a stock/receiver/projectile issue. But as others mentioned, I would try other projectile and propellant combos.

Set that target to 50 yards so it is nice and easy to sight in on with the open sights and see if you can get a consistent group.

You are bench shooting right, not firing from a standing position?

It sounds like you better pack a few sandwichesfor your next trip to the range, you might be there for a while! But there are worse things in life:)

Best of luck. It is frustrating when you have problems, but as I'm sure you know, that is how we learn.