HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Homework---partially complete Barnes FlatNose (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/236262-homework-partially-complete-barnes-flatnose.html)

gleason.chapman 03-07-2008 12:58 PM

Homework---partially complete Barnes FlatNose

I loaded up 30 viles of AA 5744 smokeless powder intent on shooting today at 100 yards the following:

a) 15 shots of Barnes Flat Nose 45-70 bullet, Barnes Part Number 45843,a .458 diameter bullet with 3 different sabots---crused rib, MMP Orange (for .458 bullets) and MMP 3 petal EZ. This is the exact same bullet as the .452 Barnes MZ which they sell for MLing. However this is a rifle bullet designed for 45-70 govt guns. Should work well in a MLer, says Bryce Towsley in the book "Rifle Bullets for the Hunter A Definitive Study".

and

b) another 15 of the .452 Barnes PBX 300g, which is a Barnes X-bullet for pistols, only the sabots for this would be Crushed rib, MMP12 or MMP24 or MMP petal EZ. This bullet weighs 275g. Those of you who know me, know I like 300g bullets for better down range energy, but I want to try this for accuracy in my Savage, since it might be a good shooter, Randy Wakeman gets excellent accuracy from them and they would be an excellent deer bullet.

However only got 4 shots off before it started to pour. The loading was tight with the .458 Flat Nose, very tight. Instead of using my Savage Ram rod, I had bought a Power Rod 2 years ago for my Knight and it fit perfect in the Savage and even had a tip for pointed high BC bullets... I also used a short starter and the made things alot easier. I usually don't use one forNosler bullets with Crushed Rib sabots. Not a super group, but respectable.I have NOT cleaned the Savage since early November, when MLer season started, except once I drilled out the breech plug and inserted a new "vent liner", which is basically the hole that the flame shoots thru. They wear out faster on a Savage since it is shooting smokeless. Here is my target of 4 shots. Chap

cayugad 03-07-2008 01:03 PM

RE: Homework---partially complete Barnes FlatNose

that is not bad shooting at all... so that is what the vent liner is? :eek: I wondered about that. I hear people talk about replacing them but never really know what they were talking about...

I shoot those Barnes PBX as well because they are not as expensive as the Expander. I was told the only real difference is the crimp ring.

gleason.chapman 03-07-2008 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

that is not bad shooting at all... so that is what the vent liner is? :eek: I wondered about that. I hear people talk about replacing them but never really know what they were talking about...

I shoot those Barnes PBX as well because they are not as expensive as the Expander. I was told the only real difference is the crimp ring.
The diameter of the hole in the top of the PBX is small compared to the gaping hole in the "Flat Nose", why Barnes calls this a Flat Nose is beyond me, looks like a "hollow point" to me. A "Flat Nose" would be something like a Nosler Parition, which is "Flat Nosed". Yes they are a few buck cheaper per box, but not that much cheaper, still around $1 each. Both appear to have the same number of crip rings on them. His is a picture, the bullet on the left is the PBX and the bullets on the right are the Flat Nose 45-70 rifle bullets.

Chap

hossdaniels 03-07-2008 02:12 PM

Cayugad, the ventliner is basically a replacable flash hole. Instead of buying a new breechplug every couple hundred rounds, just unscrew the oldventliner from the breechplug and screw in the new one. It's pretty much just a allen screw with a .031 hole drilled through the center. Good idea, and much cheaper than a new breech plug. Mine only seem to last about 75 shots before it starts opening up a little and accuracy starts going away fast, but its a quick fix and only cost a few bucks. (probably only costs cents to make)

Chap, nice shooting. I look foward to hearing the final results with these two bullets.

gleason.chapman 03-07-2008 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: hossdaniels

Cayugad, the ventliner is basically a replacable flash hole. Instead of buying a new breechplug every couple hundred rounds, just unscrew the oldventliner from the breechplug and screw in the new one. It's pretty much just a allen screw with a .031 hole drilled through the center. Good idea, and much cheaper than a new breech plug. Mine only seem to last about 75 shots before it starts opening up a little and accuracy starts going away fast, but its a quick fix and only cost a few bucks. (probably only costs cents to make)

Chap, nice shooting. I look foward to hearing the final results with these two bullets.
I have to drill out the carbon from the breech plug about every 25 shots. Chap

cayugad 03-07-2008 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: hossdaniels

I have to drill out the carbon from the breech plug about every 25 shots. Chap
I was reading a post somewhere (I forget now) but when you load the Savage, you have to really make sure you compress the charge. Is that because of the smokeless and the need to develope the pressure behind the sabot? It was interesting because the post I read talked about it making a strange sound and then they figured they had not compressed the charge hard enough.

I actually have considered a Savage rifle. I love the looks of them.

gleason.chapman 03-07-2008 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I was reading a post somewhere (I forget now) but when you load the Savage, you have to really make sure you compress the charge. Is that because of the smokeless and the need to develope the pressure behind the sabot? It was interesting because the post I read talked about it making a strange sound and then they figured they had not compressed the charge hard enough.

I actually have considered a Savage rifle. I love the looks of them.
It has to do with ignition, if you don't compress the charge, it won't go off. If the sabot is not tight to the bore, it won't go off or is not very accurate because of "blow by". I have never had a misfire with a BP inline, but I have had a few with the Savage. I have NOT had one since I learned about the tight sabot and the compress the load by placing your weight into the sabot. They are a beautiful gun, actually it looks a lot like the Knight you just bought. Chap