Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 is this a stupid idea or a good one >

is this a stupid idea or a good one

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

is this a stupid idea or a good one

Old 03-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: is this a stupid idea or a good one

If you use the right sabot they are no more problem to load than any other muzzle loader. Lee
Old 03-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

bigtim6656

If you like the Triumph and it feels good to you, then it really could be the gun for you.

Yes, today TC barrels are showing up really tight, but if you a buying a 50 cal... then out there in the market there is a sabot that will fit the barrel properly. It is really detirmined by the size of you bore. The muzzleloading market does not have a regulatory law that governs the strict size of the bore, one of the things that helps keep ML prices down. It appears that Thompson Center has set their standards to allow anything from a .499 to a .502 as an acceptable bore diameter ( allows them to use the same tool longer - less expense) If you are one of those peole that get the tight .499 then you wll probably be into using the Harvester "crush rib" sabot either the 44/50 cal or the 45/50 cal sabot. If your gun comes with the larger .501/2 barrel you can easily use the HPH-24 or regular Harvester sabot and if you are caught in between you havealso a variety of choices with the MMP HPH-3p-Ez load, the Hornady "low drag" and even Knight has a mid sized sabot available.

So if you like the gun go for it...
Old 03-05-2008, 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

i am looking at the Tc triumph and saw where alot of people say there a bear to load a real tight fit
i also saw where you can take the breech plug out real easy by hand and even unload it that way

why could you not remove the breech plug slide the bullet and pellets down from the breech then add the breech plug slide your rod down the barrel and push it down to make sure it sits all the way down
I understand this would not mean you would not have to use the rod but a few inchs seems alot better then 28 inchs
also would this havce any legal issues since a muzzleloader is made to load form the front of the barrel

is this a good idea or just another dumb one
I would be more prone to find a thinner sabot and load the gun as intended. With all the sabots out there, surely there is one to fit the Triumph. Call MMP or Harvester and ask them what triumph owners are using. The right combo of sabot and slug sounds better than trying to load from the azz end.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I liked Semisane answer. Please video!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the choices you offered, it's a stupid idea.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:25 PM

Sounds be silly to me..That would take for ever to reload..
The indians would kick you ass in short order..lol
Old 03-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just size your bore and use Bullshop conicals. OH! Thats right you said a trumph, got that QLA and may or may not shot conicals.

Handle a Knight Rolling Block 7.

Al
Old 03-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

stupid , lol, well you asked
Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys i thought it was stupid but thought i would ask i figured someone would say they tried it
Old 03-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

i am looking at the Tc triumph and saw where alot of people say there a bear to load a real tight fit
i also saw where you can take the breech plug out real easy by hand and even unload it that way

why could you not remove the breech plug slide the bullet and pellets down from the breech then add the breech plug slide your rod down the barrel and push it down to make sure it sits all the way down
I understand this would not mean you would not have to use the rod but a few inchs seems alot better then 28 inchs
also would this havce any legal issues since a muzzleloader is made to load form the front of the barrel

is this a good idea or just another dumb one
It's been done...The Ferguson rifle, back in the 70s...The 1770s... Yes. Not to mention the Hall, the Sharps, and any number of other breech-loading separate-loading arms over the years.

In many states, the ML hunting regs say "loads from the muzzle", so it would be illegal, just as the Sharps using loose powder and ball but loading from the breech is NOT legal.

But since the gun is made to be loaded from the muzzle, I suppose if no-one saw you take out the breech plug and load it that way, you would not be arrested. Only you would know you are a crook.....

Quick Reply: is this a stupid idea or a good one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.