Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sight question

Old 03-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sight question

I posted this in the Firearms Review forum but then noticed they only have a few people over there compared to here so I'm posting it here also.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the Lyman 57SME peep sight and the Redfield WSME peep? From the pictures I've seen they look very similar but would like to confirm that. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

I'm looking for a peep to put on my White Ultra Mag.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sight question

All I know is most of the peep shooter talk about the Lyman SMT on their Whites and how accurate they are. Ask Redclub about his peep set up on his UM. I am almost positive it is a Lyman. He was shooting out to 200 yards with them big conicals and hitting what he was shooting at.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the Lyman site they list the 57 SME as the sight for the Springfield, Mauser and White, not sure what the SMT is for. I like the Lyman sight but was looking at the Redfield WSME on ebay for a lot less money. The peep inserts are supose to be interchangable so I was wondering if the Redfield sight was basically the same mounting setup as the Lyman. They appear to both be designed for the Springfield/Mauser guns. I still find it amazing that people list (and some buy) items on ebay for more than the same item costs new at other places. I go there to find deals not pay regular price or higher.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Dominant Buck

That SMET is the Target model. It has a smaller aperture is all.

I was looking at some rifles on the different auction sites.. Some of these people need their head examined. And they wonder why the thing will not sell. A rusty old Hawkins and the starting price was $200.00 ... well thats fine and good, if you want a Hawkins that bad. Same with parts. I know what you mean about e-bay but it is kind of fun to look at all the stuff.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think some of them have been hanging out with Semisane and he's rubed off on them.

Seriously though, I bought the Lyman 57 GPR sight for my GPR off ebay for around $30. At MidSouth a new one is around $61. On ebay most of the 57 SME's are listed in the $55 to $65 range for starting prices on used ones. I see no reason to even consider those at this time.