Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 TC Triumph input please (deposit is down) >

TC Triumph input please (deposit is down)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Triumph input please (deposit is down)

Old 03-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default TC Triumph input please (deposit is down)

I had a chance to handle and shoot a TC Truimph this weekend. The only issue I had was the Truimph I shot was right out of the box and noticed it was quiet stiff to open and close the breech. I had handled one at the gun showthis weekend which showed signsof use and it was wonderful to operate- easy1 finger operation. I am told this is the result of a short break in? So Truimph owners lets hear what you experienced???

I put my name down with the dealer for an 08' model, they are suppose to arrive early spring. He is giving me the choice between an all camo and SS/black for basically the same money(quantinty purchase I talked a few guys into going and taking a boo at the gun. 4 said they'd order one so he'sdangling a carrot.) The gun I shot was an all camo, at first I wasn't overly taken by it but must say it grew on me. Any way does anybody own one with a matte black scope and if so how does it look??? The gun I shot was not scoped. I'mnot to practiced withirons and the range was only 50 yards but with 250gr SW and 2 50gr pellets of T7 it shot pretty well all things considered. I really liked the handling of the gun, feels a lot smaller and lighter then it actually is. I put a deposit down so I guess I was pretty impressed.

Leads me to what is everybody using for loads in the truimph. I am pretty sure I want to use the 200gr SW 40/50's under loose T7 to start but would like others as well. I have a pretty good supply of Hornady, Barnes, Nosler in 250 and some 300's on hand. Also sabots I have crushed rib and HPH 12's &24's sabots on had but need to order some MMP sabots soon so let me know what your finding works for sabotswith .451&.452 bullets in your Truimph's. I guess powder suggestions as well wouldn't hurt? I have looseT7 FFG and Pyro RS on hand currently. I will not be using pellets!

Opps forgot what 209 Primer? Currently have win 209W and fed 209A's.

Next question mounting systems. The gun will be scoped, I have a set of Warne QD rings that can be utilized but would need to order in a base. I believe the part number I need from Warne is M987(it is listed for the encore and omega in my warne catalogue - as a 1 piece steel base). Is this correct? Other suggestions??

I most likely will move over one of my better scopes, however in the mean time I may buy one as well. The dealer has offered me adecent deal on a Omega BDC scope with the ML. However I can buy a Monarch BDC for near the same money. Which would you choose and why?

So did I make a good choice or should I switch my deposit towards something else???[8D] I think I did after spending time behind it and handling it. just not sure about the breaking action???

Thanks for any input
Old 03-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: TC Triumph input please (deposit is down)

Sketter, I tried to send you a page out of my load book if it dont get through let me know.
One of the main things is to find the right sabot,I would recommend trying the MMP HPH24 and the Crush Rib most of the time one of them will do it. Lee
PS I dont find the BDC scope much use on anything, since they are fixed and you can not adjust the yardage seperatly check out the mildot scopes.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Sketter, I tried to send you a page out of my load book if it dont get through let me know.
One of the main things is to find the right sabot,I would recommend trying the MMP HPH24 and the Crush Rib most of the time one of them will do it. Lee
PS I dont find the BDC scope much use on anything, since they are fixed and you can not adjust the yardage seperatly check out the mildot scopes.
Lee, thanks I got your page and great info I really appreciate it. Looks like T7 FFG works well. Crud ring?? I will be ordering sabots as I mentioned so I'll cover all my bases just in case for sure. I'll be placing and order for bullets, be sure that the 200gr 50/40 as well as gold dots are on it!!

What about primer?
Is the tightness of the break action normal or lessen?
Also what bases/rings do you use?

As far as scopes go most likely the Truimph will getthe Zeiss Conquest from my 2506 or I'll move over one of my elite 3200's. I have deceided it to do some re-tooling in my gun cabinets. I have a few rifles that don't see action or have any personal value so to make the wife happy I am going to sellto replace.

Thanks again
Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

seems to be alot of people buying or already bought the triumphs
i look at them at gander despite the worst sells guy i ever meet
the gun looked nice felt good except seemed alittle small for me but i am a big guy

They are not stainless steel non of them weather black or camo there a blued barrel with the weather shield coating over it i was told by Tc it is better then stainless.
I am all but set on the Tc triumph
. i think i will also get a 08 model since there all camo .

good luck keep us up dated when you get it.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:06 AM

I have a triumph, my brother has one, cousin has one, and a friend bought one. All us shot a deer with ours this year, and are very happy with them. Im very happy with my purchase.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:48 AM

Congrats on the new ML. I got my Triumph right before last Christmas, an all camo version. I haven't been able to shoot as much as I would like with the weather around here, but I have gotten it out the range a few times. For powder, I am shooting T7 FFF, it was all I could find at the time so I went with it and it is shooting good. I have only been shooting 85grns(which from what I have read hereshould be equivelant of 95-100gr of FF)of it for now, as I am still having fun with trying out different bullets in the gun. Since I have been shooting it, I have noticed that the crud ring is getting better, to the point now where it is barely there. I don't know if that is because the gun is being broken in, or if it is because I use TC's bore butter. For a primer I am shooting the standard 209 CCI primer.

As for bullets go, I have tried the the 200gr and 250gr shockwaves, along with the 240gr xtps from TC. The only one the gun didn't like was the 200gr. The 250's shootthe best out of it from those three, this last weekend I shoot my best three shot group with them, I didn't meausre but all three were just about touching. I also bought some barnes 250gr TMZ's to try out as well.

Oh, and mine was a litte hard to close up with the primer in when it was brand new, butit has gotteneasier.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

"What about primer?" I have experimented with different primers,the ones made special for muzzle loaders [777win and the rem muuzzle loader] will plug the breach plug right up. I use regular win 209 for reloading with out a problem.

"Is the tightness of the break action normal or lessen?" It will loose a little as you break it in but not a lot.

"Also what bases/rings do you use?" I put the steel weaver base and the rings that came with my Swift scope, your 3200 is an excellant scope and will do quite well.

Normally I have better luck with Pyrodex than 777 this gun just happens to prefer 777, suggest you try both.
My Omega had crud ring real bad so I polished the barrel, it helped but it still gets it some; the Triumph never did, I think it possable that the redesigned breach plug may help that problem, but I also know that some guns get it and some dont it may be that it is like bullets and harmonics.
Let me know if I can help with anything else. Lee

Old 03-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

TimmyTriumph, I have shot the 200 gr SW in a lot of guns and while I realize there are exceptions to every rule especally when it comes to barrel harmonics if you have some left I would suggest you try them with a fairly heavy load[if you have not already] I have had to get them up over 2100 fps for best results, then they tear a ragged hole. Lee
Old 03-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Skeeter, I own an all camo modelwith a matte blackLeupold Vari-X I 3x9x40 anchored by a steel Weaver base and rings. It's a good looking set up and shoots great. I have only used 250 gr. SW's, 250gr. low drag SST's and 300 gr. XTP's with T7 pellets. It really likes the 250gr.SW's with100gr. T7pellets, groups touching at 100 yards. I have not tried any loose powder, but plan to with some other bullet/sabot combinations. I hear they like the crush rib and mmp24sabots. The sabots with the XTP's were a bear to load, thoughtI was going to break my rod.

As for the breech action, mine was a little stiff, but after some shooting it limbered up. Also, it's simple to operate and clean, no fuss, no cuss! I think you will enjoy the gun and made a good decision!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

i love mine and shoot it alot no issues and groups really nice out to 150 ,i liked them so much i bought 2 one all black reg model for the wify and freinds to use and one camo with wheather shild for me both shoot the 250 shockwaves like tack drivers i think my 270 and my shotgun is not going to get much use this year plus i get 65 days to hunt with it

Quick Reply: TC Triumph input please (deposit is down)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.