HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Homework--Barnes Origonal 300g, different sabots, 44g of AA 5744 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/235287-homework-barnes-origonal-300g-different-sabots-44g-aa-5744-a.html)

gleason.chapman 03-01-2008 07:36 PM

Homework--Barnes Origonal 300g, different sabots, 44g of AA 5744

Finally got a chance to get out and do some shooting today--100 yards. 15 shots of Barnes Origonals .458 diameter300g, 44g of Accurate Arms 5744, Federal 209a primers, different Sabots. The first sabot was a crushed rib, a .452 sabot with a .458 bullet. This was the first 5 shots, no waiting between shots. All5 shots laid out, with sabots, with primers and with the power vials. The Crushed Rib was very hard to load. Very hard. 3 shots touching, about 1.5".
Chap

gleason.chapman 03-01-2008 07:39 PM

RE: Homework--Barnes Origonal 300g, different sabots, 44g of AA 5744

Here is the next 5 shots, with the Orange MMP .458 sabot, much easier to load. I thought it would be good to use, since it was easy to load. But it was not as accurate as the CR. Chap

gleason.chapman 03-01-2008 07:43 PM

The next 5 shot were with the .452 3 Petal EZ from MMP. They were very hard to load also. I thought they would break the Savage ram rod, in fact the Spin Jag was scraping the crown. Nice group, but not a good as the first 5 shots with the black Crushed Rib. I also tried the red smokeless Crushed Rib sabots, but they was so tight I had to get a pair of plyers to take the bullet out. It was so hard to get out, that I deformed the bullet a bit.
Chap

cayugad 03-01-2008 08:06 PM

Those Barnes did a good job. The smokeless Savage is a most interesting rifle. What do you think is the most accurate load you can shoot out of that rifle?

Semisane 03-01-2008 08:25 PM

Got yourself a knock-em-download there, Chap.Those Barnes originals are fine bullets.

What was the range? Did you notice much difference in recoil between the orange sabots and the tight ones?

gleason.chapman 03-01-2008 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Those Barnes did a good job. The smokeless Savage is a most interesting rifle. What do you think is the most accurate load you can shoot out of that rifle?

I think this Savage will shoot any bullet to 3" hunting accuracy, which is what I considered acceptable for my Remington 760 30-06 before I got into MLing, now I consider 2" acceptable and with the Savage, 1.5" is acceptable. It shoot the Parker Ballistic Extremes 275g very well (1.5") with an MMP12 sabot. It shoots the TC SW 300g very well with the supplied sabot (all shots touching). It shoots these Barnes Origonal very well, with the CR sabot. I figure if I switch to 4198 powder I will get 30010 350 more fps and shoot 200 yards with a 3" high at 100 yard MPBR. I will now shoot the Barnes Pistol PBX 275g and the Barnes Flat Base 300g, which is really the hollow point MZML bullet in a .458 diameter. I like the shoot thru and no weight loss of the Barnes, they go thru bone.

I think if someone wanted a very accurate plinking ML gun, that is cheap to shoot and easy to clean (like a couple of times a year), then an XTP in 250g with 44g of AA would give 1.5" groups every day of the week and is 1/2 the cost of shooting 777, since 44g is about 50% of a 100g load. I would also consider that a hunting load with a 300gXTP, even though I know it sheds it jacket (SabotLoader showed that).The Savage was designed around the 300g XTP with 2000 fps mildrecoil with 44g of AA 5744. I shoot 5744 cause it always fires.I now know what "tight sabot" means in a Savage, it is a lot different than "tight" in an Omega, becuse the Savage doesn't leave all the crap in the barrel. All I know is it is one accurate easy to clean rifle and I plan on using mine in rifle season and use my Omega in ML season.I may event try Nosler 300g in my Savage, but I really like the way these Barnes shoot and perform on game (from what I have read). As much shooting as you do, I would consider a Savage as a cost saving measure and a good gun to shoot on days you don't wanna clean a MLer.
Chap

gleason.chapman 03-01-2008 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

Finally got a chance to get out and do some shooting today---100 yard. 15 shots of Barnes Origonals .458 diameter300g, 44g of Accurate Arms 5744, Federal 209a primers, different Sabots. The first sabot was a crushed rib, a .452 sabot with a .458 bullet. This was the first 5 shots, no waiting between shots. All5 shots laid out, with sabots, with primers and with the power vials. The Crushed Rib was very hard to load. Very hard. 3 shots touching, about 1.5".
Chap

gleason.chapman 03-01-2008 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Got yourself a knock-em-download there, Chap.Those Barnes originals are fine bullets.

What was the range? Did you notice much difference in recoil between the orange sabots and the tight ones?
It was 100 yards. Yes those Barnes will do it, but the Origonals don't retain 100% of weight, so I will try the PBX (the Pistol X bullet) and theFlat Base, which is like theMZ only .458 in diameter. Just to see how they print. I have two boxes of the PBX and 1 box of the Flat Base.There was little recoil since I was using a Lead Sled, with about 5 lbs of sand on it. I did not notice any difference between sabots in terms of recoil. Usually after 10 shots I start feeling my arm getting sore, today nothing, not sore 1 bit. I will have to see if the lead sled kills my scope. Chap

frontier gander 03-01-2008 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: Semisane

It was 100 yards. Yes those Barnes will do it, but the Origonals don't retain 100% of weight, so I will try the PBX (the Pistol X bullet) and theFlat Base, which is like theMZ only .458 in diameter. Just to see how they print. There was little recoil since I was using a Lead Sled, with about 5 lbs of sand on it. I did not notice any difference between sabots in terms of recoil. Usually after 10 shots I start feeling my arm getting sore, today nothing, not sore 1 bit. I will have to see if the lead sled kills my scope. Chap
Glad you're not sore. I took 6 shots with 70 grains ffg goex and .490 PRB and my upper shoulder hurts :D I really need to reshape that brass buttplate.

Nice shootin.

hossdaniels 03-02-2008 08:08 AM

Oh there it chap, nice shooting. I couln't get it to come up on the savage forum.