Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Homework--Barnes Origonal 300g, different sabots, 44g of AA 5744 >

Homework--Barnes Origonal 300g, different sabots, 44g of AA 5744

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Homework--Barnes Origonal 300g, different sabots, 44g of AA 5744

Old 03-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Homework--Barnes Origonal 300g, different sabots, 44g of AA 5744

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

I have some H4198, and my first shot with it was a very loud "crack", and I could tell immediately with the 300 grain bullets that it was stout. I was shooting 66g, I believe. What bullet are you going to stay with for your Savage, your excellent shooting SW/SST/XTP or the Barnes MZ with the 43g of 4759? I like the Barnes hollow points for under 100 yard hunting, I don't think that they can be beat, for >100 yards then the Barnes Origonals are my choice, so that is what I am leaning to. If they Barnes Origonals retained 100% of weight I would stay with them. Chap Gleason
Chap I will use both loads for hunting. The 250gr SST/SW will be used when I am hunting in open counrty for Mulies or antelope and I anticipate shots of 100 to 250 as the norm. My experience has shown that once the bullet SST bullets slows at extended ranges its a killer in the savage, even if you use a shoulder shot. ( back in the fall I posted a picture of a recovered slug off a mulie doe where i purposely shot her throughthe pins at 170yards - bullet performed very well and I received pentration to the opposite side (under the hide). The mulie never took a step!) When it comes to my Whitetail spot I will refer to the Barnes MZ or similar b/c of shorter range and may needing to excute the shoulder shot. I will also refer to the barnes for game such as bear, elk and moose. I say I am done but I'll probably be back flinging new loads before to long, the will be my baseline loads until the time comes that they get unseated. I planned to try the Parker Extreme's but couldn't get any last year in time...so that will be one I'll try.

As far as H4198 goes it has the potential, its just that I needed to get my charge up to see it show itself and I didn't really enjoy shooting. Enjoyment is the reasonI shoot, so when thats gone well it becomes a question of why??

Red i sure wish my gun like VV powder, N120 load was very tolerable under 300 gr SW but the 4" group wasn't (load was 60.5gr never went higher as it just wasn't showing anything)!! I think I am one of maybe 10 savage shooters who has problems getting either N110 and N120 to shoot[]. I have never tried the barnes orginals in my savage though!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Homework--Barnes Origonal 300g, different sabots, 44g of AA 5744

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

Chap I will use both loads for hunting. The 250gr SST/SW will be used when I am hunting in open counrty for Mulies or antelope and I anticipate shots of 100 to 250 as the norm. My experience has shown that once the bullet SST bullets slows at extended ranges its a killer in the savage, even if you use a shoulder shot. ( back in the fall I posted a picture of a recovered slug off a mulie doe where i purposely shot her throughthe pins at 170yards - bullet performed very well and I received pentration to the opposite side (under the hide). The mulie never took a step!) When it comes to my Whitetail spot I will refer to the Barnes MZ or similar b/c of shorter range and may needing to excute the shoulder shot. I will also refer to the barnes for game such as bear, elk and moose. I say I am done but I'll probably be back flinging new loads before to long, the will be my baseline loads until the time comes that they get unseated. I planned to try the Parker Extreme's but couldn't get any last year in time...so that will be one I'll try.

As far as H4198 goes it has the potential, its just that I needed to get my charge up to see it show itself and I didn't really enjoy shooting. Enjoyment is the reasonI shoot, so when thats gone well it becomes a question of why??

Red i sure wish my gun like VV powder, N120 load was very tolerable under 300 gr SW but the 4" group wasn't (load was 60.5gr never went higher as it just wasn't showing anything)!! I think I am one of maybe 10 savage shooters who has problems getting either N110 and N120 to shoot[]. I have never tried the barnes orginals in my savage though!
That is a good strategy, the SST for long range and the Barnes MZ for shot range work. I plan on doing the same thing, except the Barnes Origonals will be my long range bullet, better BC and better long range energy.

I had problems last year getting PBE, at MidSouth Shooter's supply. I bought some at Gander Mountain, the Remington PT is the same bullet as the PBE. Also the Traditions XLR (extended long range) is the PBE, now they sell 15 of those in a package for the same price as you get 12 of the PBE's from Parker's web site. If you shoot them, get yourself 4 packages before hunting season, then you will have enough for the whole hunting season. I had only 7 bullets left out of the 4 packages I bought, and I didn't miss only 1 time, I must have shot out about 10 or 15 after a week or longer sitting in the barrel, man I hate doing that. Chap