HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   You Skin It Your Way - I'll Skin It Mine (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/235124-you-skin-your-way-ill-skin-mine.html)

Semisane 02-29-2008 02:36 PM

You Skin It Your Way - I'll Skin It Mine

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Today I was wandering around the fishing section of a sporting goods store and came across a tiny little light made for night fishing with a bobber. It's basically a small battery with a bulb on top mounted in a push/pull switch. You push the bulb down and it comes on. Pull it up and it goes off. The package says it's good for 21+ hours.

Well, I got to thinking about lighting up the front sight on my Great Plains flintlock so I could use the Lyman 57 peep at dawn and dusk. At $2.99, I just had to buy one. Here's what they look like out of the package with the light on.

Semisane 02-29-2008 02:37 PM

RE: You Skin It Your Way - I'll Skin It Mine

So, I cut a piece of black electrical tape and laid the light on it.

Semisane 02-29-2008 02:39 PM

Then taped it to the barrel immediately behind the fiber optic front sight. Tried it in a dark room. Should work just fine. Look out deer at dusk.

Redclub 02-29-2008 02:42 PM

:DSemi-sane I think I agree with your wife:DJust use the headlights
Redclub

BrushPopper 02-29-2008 02:44 PM

Jim Bridger just rolled over in his grave!

But kidding aside, it looks like it should work. The sights on my sidelocks are so crude (read: traditional) that sometimes I can't make 'em out really well in broad daylight. I just "fire in there amongst 'em".

Semisane 02-29-2008 03:00 PM

Just use the headlights :D
I'll have to admit to using the old "one eyed dog" and a single shot .22 on quite a few swamp bunnies in my younger days. But I gave up outlawing a long, long time ago.

cayugad 02-29-2008 03:17 PM

I thought you found a cheap bore light....

Semisane 02-29-2008 03:36 PM

I thought you found a cheap bore light....
You've got your head on straight, cayugad. I hadn't even thought of that. Just dropped it down the barrels of a few guns. It worked GREAT! Even on a .22. It will go with me any time I'm looking at used guns.

cayugad 02-29-2008 04:01 PM

next trip to the city I will have to look for them. Never have enough gadgets..

Semisane 02-29-2008 04:10 PM

next trip to the city I will have to look for them. Never have enough gadgets..
PM me your mailing address.