Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 GMB Stainless Steel and some SSB's >

GMB Stainless Steel and some SSB's

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

GMB Stainless Steel and some SSB's

Old 02-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default GMB Stainless Steel and some SSB's

Rifle: Renegade percussion cap lock with a 1-28 twist stainless steel Green Mountain Barrel 28"
optics: Thompson Center 1X scope with Weaver Solid rings
Caps: Remington 40% hotter
Powder: 100 grains of Pyrodex RS or Triple Se7en 3f
projectile: 375 gr Buffalo Bullet Co. SSB in black sabot from company
distance: 50 yards
weather: 26ยบ and very over cast but little wind

Shot #1 was with a .504 UC Short mag and 100 grains of Triple Se7en 3f w/ .510 card. Recoil was like a rented mule. Really kicked.
Shot #2 basically the same thing but with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. Recoil not as bad. Also the .504 was near impossible to load. Had it not been for a very high quality range rod, it would not have happened I suspect.

The upper group was with the Triple Se7en. Recoil was not too bad. Accuracy was very good. The lower group was with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. Again, recoil was acceptable and accuracy was more then acceptable. These Buffalo Bullet SSB's could be loaded with out a short starter. I could push them with thumb pressure into the barrel and then seat them with the range rod. I did not swab between every shot but sometimes shot two in a row to see if it effected the group. For instance, in the Triple Seven group, the second shot, B moved to the left. With the Pyrodex RS for some reason it did not seem to matter. It just kept slamming them in that same spot. I see that the scope needs some minor adjustment.

Also at 50 yards with a 1X scope, the cross hairs will hide all that tape basically. Which I thought was kind of interest. So when I lined up for the shot, I held until the tape disappeared and then touched it off. The small cap container was placed there to show a relationship to size for the group. There were no dead center hits from the rifle. Almost all of them were to the right, except the conicals for some reason.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: GMB Stainless Steel and some SSB's

Nice shooting cayugad. It's great when you can find a thumb start bullet that gives you that kind of accuracy.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

Are not shooting Bull Shops? I use the .503 thumb start and really am impressed with them. They go down just a it harder than a .452 & HPH24 sabot - certainly tight enoughnot to come off the powder- but they obturate to a very tight fit when the gun goes off.

If you are gonna shot conicals those Bull Shops, or No Excuses, are harde to beat + the 460's have a decent BC for that big a chunk if lead.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nope! Never shot `em Sabotloader. PLEASE don't make me try another bullet. I can't lift my range bag already. Wouldn't it be a shame if that's the "one hole" bullet for my Mustang, and I've never shot it?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I tried some UC short mags that I casted but did not size. They were a little too tight. I think I will size some down to .503 and see how they work. They sure had a kick to them with 100 grains of powder. I'd hate to be on the other end of that thing.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

OK - now ya done it... what size sabot are you using in that wild animal you are a shooten? Need to know the bore size... cause den da family is gonna send ya a package ya can't refuse...
Old 02-28-2008, 05:14 PM

Dave

That is shure some sweet shooting , I belive you have a keeper there !

Ron
Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Remember - Cdad was shooting 110 grains of T7 with them 460's from his Umag - I thought he was nuts...

I am shooting 90 grains T7-3f from my Renegade/GM combo and they are comfortable - in fact they are really fun to shoot at breakable targets such as clay pigeons.

I was going to try some of those UC shorts but talked to UC about them and the 460's - from that conversation and the small amount conical shooting I do - I am staying with the 460's. I also have 4/5 boxes of Dan's .504/400 grain LGP's - they shoot really well also...
Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Well in the UM I personally like the 500 grain. I want to size some of the ones I have casted and then see how they will do. The UC Shorts do real well out of the UM so I figure they should shoot well out of the GMB. Although that 375 gr sabot with 100 grains under it would be more then enough to handle most anything. With the 1X scope it is legal in Wisconsin and would make a very interesting load to hunt with.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gee Sabotloader, most of the time I usethe regular Harvester black sabot, the short onefor 250 grain Gold Dots, and the long one for 300 grains. They thumb start with that sabot. I've never slugged the bore, but Great Plains conicals will thumb start also with a firm push.

Quick Reply: GMB Stainless Steel and some SSB's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.