HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Lyman customer service (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/233003-lyman-customer-service.html)

flounder33 02-17-2008 03:58 PM

Lyman customer service

Hi, Down the road a bit I am thinking of a 54 caliber roundball shooter. I am thinking of either a T/C Hawken or a Lyman GPR. I know T/C has a great reputation for customer service. I am wondering how Lyman stacks up in that category.
Thanks, Art

cayugad 02-17-2008 04:44 PM

RE: Lyman customer service

I only had to use Lyman's customer service once. Unknow to me, the thimble rib screws were loose on my Trade Rifle. I pulled the ramrod out of the thimble rib, outside of course, and the thimble rib fell to the ground and the small screws were lost to the world I call lawn. I called Lyman's customer service, explained what happened and they said as soon as they could they would mail me more of them which they did. I admit that I had to wait about three weeks to get the screws, but that was explained over the telephone to me, that they were currently out of stock of them and had to wait for the next shipment of parts from Italy.

wabi 02-17-2008 04:58 PM

My only experiences with Lyman customer service was in regards to their MustangBreakaway inline.
Problem #1 - sights would not adjust low enough for an 80 gr T-7 charge behind a 300 gr XTP. There response, "It's regulated for a 150 gr charge and a 250 gr bullet - shoot a heavier charge or a lighter bullet." [:@](I was not happy with the solution)
Problem #2 - the ramrod broke. Their response, "We will send you a new one." :D(They did - 3 months later!) [:@]

To be fair, the inline had just hit the market and I'm sure they didn't have a stock of spare parts on hand yet, but I was not happy with not being able to use the f/o sights for my favorite load. It looks to me like thay could offer a couple different front sight heights. The scope mounts on that rifle were very limiting in the eye relief department (2 piece bases) and none of my favorite scopes would work on it either. A good rifle, but very limited in sight options.
I would have to say T/C has them easily beaton customer service in my experiences with both companies.

mcawful 02-17-2008 05:04 PM

The only dealings I had with Lyman customer service was a question I sent via email. Got a response and answer the next day.

frontier gander 02-17-2008 05:39 PM

Seems pretty simple to me. If you want a PRB shooter, lyman is the way to go. TC only makes a .50 hawken. Of course you could buy a GM barrel for it, but that will cost youn $150-200 for to replacement in bigger caliber.

flounder33 02-17-2008 05:42 PM

You're probably right frontier, unless I could find a good used 54 cal T/C. That GPR was in my dreams last night. I got the fever.
Art

wabi 02-17-2008 06:19 PM

I'd say the need for customer service with the GPR would be a very remote possibility. I wouldn't let my past experiences keep me from purchasing one if I wanted a good PRB shooter, and would pick the GPR over the T/C Hawken easily for PRB accuracy potential.