HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Finally a warm day to shoot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/232315-finally-warm-day-shoot.html)

cayugad 02-13-2008 03:17 PM

Finally a warm day to shoot

Today was finally not real cold (14ÂșABOVE zero :D)so I decided I better get some range time in while I can. There was a slight wind out of the west but other then it making my hands cold when loading, it was not too bad. I decided to shoot rifles today that did not need to have the barrel swabbed. So I took out the Ultra Mag White .504 and the .504 White Bison. The Bison has a 1X Nikon scope and the Ultra Mag has a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7X32mm.

The first shot of of the Ultra Mag as usual was out of the group. I guess that is why I hunt on a fowled barrel. The next two hits were above the florscent orange 1" dot that WAS on the center of that pizza cardboard. While they grouped nice, I wanted to shoot at the small dot so I aimed just under it. The rifle is sighted in to hit at 75 yards. You can see the dot below after I found it on the ground (it did not scan to true color for some reason). It lasted the next two shots. After that I shot for bullet holes. That center group is seven shots because I counted them as I shot as fast as I could load and shoot. I can not find the seventh hole though.

The Bison I discovered liked a .503 bullet and I happened to have a couple hunderd 460 grain BullShop. So I took out a new box of them and shot them. I was trying it with wads, without wad, Pyrodex P, Pyrdoex RS, Triple Se7en, and lots of different powder charges. The Bison is an interesting rifle. The POI will change drastically if you add a wad, or change powder. I still have not decided what I want to shoot out of it. I was having too much fun just shooting again...

thumper50 02-13-2008 03:24 PM

RE: Finally a warm day to shoot

Some more of your xcellent good shooting Dave. Them whites sure do shoot good! couple of my friends shoot whites. "tackdrivers"

Semisane 02-13-2008 04:03 PM

Good shooting Dave. Nothing sweeter than a bunch of holes touching each other. What kind of recoil do you get with those 460's? I guess at 14 degrees, you had some pretty good padding on.

cayugad 02-13-2008 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Good shooting Dave. Nothing sweeter than a bunch of holes touching each other. What kind of recoil do you get with those 460's? I guess at 14 degrees, you had some pretty good padding on.
Recoil is not bad at all. The Whites tend to soak up recoil real well. As for padding.. I had my winter jacket on, but nothing really special. After all, it was pretty warm today.

corey012778 02-13-2008 04:23 PM

great shooting cayugad,

I still think 14degrees is still cold. I am just waiting for it to stop raining

Indiana SmokePole 02-13-2008 04:23 PM

Dave that is some good shootn there. How did the lub react to sutch warm wather did it seem to get very hard ? I hope my .451 White is a good shooter also!

Ron

Semisane 02-13-2008 04:37 PM

After all, it was pretty warm today.
Anyone who can saythat about 14 degree weather has been inhaling too much gunsmoke.:D

cayugad 02-13-2008 04:51 PM

Indiana SmokePole - the #2 lube of Bull Shops is a very consistant lube. Even in hot weather it stays put. Cold weather did not seem to bother it at all. Most of the White owners claim that the .451 caliber is a better shooter then the .504 caliber. And the .451 has plenty of knock down with them big conicals to take on anything you want to shoot.

Semisane - by this time of the winter season, and after the last couple weeks of Arctic Sub Zero weather, believe me.. 14 degrees is not bad. I remember one year when my sister and her husband came for Christmas and it was twenty below. They were from Georgia. I was outside with a insulated work Carhardt Denim jacket on, and they were bundled up in Winter Arctic Parkas and still complained about the cold. The worst weather I ever was in was a summer day inGA. It was hot, humid, and little black clouds of bugs everywhere. How they could take that humidity was beyond me.

little-d 02-13-2008 06:22 PM

i can hardly keep my eyes from tearing up in that cold windy weather. but i sure like cold over hot but not to cold. the reason is the bugs. some of my folks from wisconsin were down here in mississippi not to long ago in the summer, i thought there were going to die.

lemoyne 02-13-2008 07:33 PM

I remember shooting in that kind of weather, since I moved to AR I wait for a day thats going into the 50's since it has not gotten quite that warm this week I AM STILL WAITING. Lee