Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Any reason to change powder. >

Any reason to change powder.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Any reason to change powder.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Spike

Default Any reason to change powder.

Just recently got myself a KRB7 and really like it.I have 2 Omegas that have been doing a great job w/Pyro.pellets @110grs.Finally figured to go from 100 to 110.Bam,there was the sweet spot.Decided this trip to try and figure out loose powder for the KRBafter having read all the positives here.Wish I had listened to you guys a lot earlier.I have been through almost a full container of T7ffgnow and for the life of me I can't figure out why I was so apprehinsive b/4.It really is "Soooo" much better IN A LOT OF WAYS.Anyway my question is this.I'm pleased w/the groups 1" to 1 1/4"@75yds.with myfirst can.(I'm in Va.,and where I hunt, lots of brush,can't see a 100yds.)clean up is fine and the price is a whole heck of a lot better than pellets.Can any of you tell me why I might want to try Pyrodex powder or even get maybe someT7 FFFG.I'm still learning and do respect the knowledge and experience found here. Thanks so much....hunt4me
Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any reason to change powder.

I shoot alot of T7FFF in my knights and it shoots real well. Pyro is dirtier than t7 but if you shoot any powder the gun has to be cleaned anyway so to me it doesnt matter. Pick up a can of pyro rs and try it-your gun will let ya know if it likes it. I picked up 2 cans of rs for 7 bucks a can and am going to shoot it up this spring. I just might find out something new about my guns. Thats the fun of it. Kerry
Old 02-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

The answer to your question is always in the results, playing around is fine but if you are going to do it it, a practical goal gives you a reason to spend the money and some direction in what you are doing.
You could run into something else to, my Omega shoots best with pyrodex and my Triumph shoots best with 777 if you are getting groups that satisfy you and you know theres not that much differance in your particular guns other wise, then maybe trying a few different bullets would give better results. Lee
Old 02-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Spike

Thanks guys,..tenmile,do you like 3f over 2f for any reason other than it's accuracy?I'm assumeing you have shot 2f,right? Some folks say 3f is for pistols because of the burn rate.Your thoughts on this.I am shooting sabots.mmp's w/gold dots,noslers,and some hornady sst's.Plink some w/XTP'S.Also what primer do you favor. hunt4me
Old 02-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Once you have a set load, there is nothing stopping you from trying all makes, grades, etc of powder. I do this all the time. I have a fall back load for a rifle and after that anything goes.

FFFg powder being finer does produce more barrel pressure and in some rifles accuracy is improved. Especially I noted when shooting conicals. It seems if I can get that big chunk of lead moving a little faster from the start, I get better accuracy in the end.

Pyrodex is a great powder. Yes it is dirty and fowls a barrel, but it is one of the most consistant powders out there for accuracy. Normally if a rifle will not shoot accurate with anything, I try Pyrodex RS. For some reason that can normally make them behave. Another good powder for all around shooting is Goex 2f. I shoot a lot of rifles with black powder. I have to clean and swab the barrel anyway, so I do not see it as a problem.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Spike

Now I'm learning more stuff....Thanks Caugad
Old 02-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Hunt-I shoot FFF as cayugad said in a couple guns I use conicals. Then when I was shooting my knight disc I couldnt get it to group inside of 3". I was using t7ff. The next day I figured I would try fff and the same bullet from the day before.(300grxtp). I started at 110gr and was going to work down in my loads. I didnt have to as the first 3 out of the bbl were just under 1" at 100yds. I also shoot a extreme with 105 grs of 2f with the same accuracy so as these guys will tell ya different guns like different powder and bullets. The fun comes in finding them and when ya do then remember it and look for another combination!!!!!!!!! Kerry
Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I own 2 flintlocks and one Knight Disc...I've tried 777 and it did fine, but I did have a crud ring problem...If I can catch Pryodex R-S on sale at WalMart after the season (3-4 years ago I think it went for $5 bucks), I'll pick up a couple of pounds, if not, I just shoot Goex FFF...I live about a hour and a half from a distributor, so I can buy that for $11.50 a pound or so...

Since I need Goex for my flintlocks, I also have a load for it in my Knight...

I don't worry about cleanup, alcohol or water is pretty cheap...Guess I'm not in that big of a hurry to get it cleaned up and do something else...