Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 50/40 Sabot other than MMP? (Update) >

50/40 Sabot other than MMP? (Update)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

50/40 Sabot other than MMP? (Update)

Old 02-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 50/40 Sabot other than MMP? (Update)

Does anyone know of anyone else that makes the 50/40 (blue) sabot? They're a wee bit tight in one of my guns and one of my friends can't hardly get them down his w/out a sledge hammer.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Default RE: 50/40 Sabot other than MMP?

I have loked & looked I can't find any one else!!!

What guns do you all have ?

Ron
Old 02-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine that is tight is a Genesis and his is an Omega. Both of them are known for being tight bores. Don't get me wrong, I can still use them, they are just tighter than I prefer. On a clean barrel orif I swab good between shots then I'm fine.But in a huntin' scenario it's not always possible to swab between shots. His Omega, it doesn't matter if it's clean or not, they just don't want to go down hardly at all.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

TNHagies

Just out of curiousity- how many rounds does he have through his Omega? Is a rather new barrel or well used?

This doesn't help any but they do load down my Omega just fine. I do turn them on my tongue to put a little moisture (lubricant) on the sabot just before stuffing them down.

I shoot T7 so patching between shots is not that big a deal for me and I have pretty much given up a a quick second shot... I just have to make sure the first one counts.

I was hoping Harvester might come up with a "crush rib" for the 10mm to 50 cal but so far they have not.

Since there is really not a bore size standard in the industry - bore sizes can very vary. My Omega is probably .501 while others have recorded theirs to be .499 and that is really tight.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

TNHagies

Just out of curiousity- how many rounds does he have through his Omega? Is a rather new barrel or well used?

This doesn't help any but they do load down my Omega just fine. I do turn them on my tongue to put a little moisture (lubricant) on the sabot just before stuffing them down.

I shoot T7 so patching between shots is not that big a deal for me and I have pretty much given up a a quick second shot... I just have to make sure the first one counts.

I was hoping Harvester might come up with a "crush rib" for the 10mm to 50 cal but so far they have not.

Since there is really not a bore size standard in the industry - bore sizes can very vary. My Omega is probably .501 while others have recorded theirs to be .499 and that is really tight.
His is several years old. Can't tell you exactly. I actually emailed Harvester just to see if it was something that they made some but didn't promote but I'm not holding my breath.

I too try and rule out a quick second shot but I hunt coyote w/the 200gI sometimes I need to shoot a couple times.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you find one let us know, they shoot excellant out of my Omga and my Triumph but the Triumph is a bear to get them loaded in. Lee
Old 02-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 50/40 Sabot other than MMP? (update)

So I rec'd an email back from Harvester re the 50/40 sabot:

Hi Scott,[/align][/align]Thanks for your comments and use of our Harvester Muzzleloading product line. [/align]At the present time we have no plans to make this sabot. However, if we receive [/align]enough requests for it we would really consider it. You and maybe2 or 3 others have [/align]asked us for this sabot.[/align][/align]Again, thanks and good shooting! [/align][/align]
Regards,

Ron Bugg, Jr.
VP
J-Ron, Inc.

www.jron.com
[/align]
Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 AM

Ya I have Emaild them also about the same But have not herd any thing back yet !

Ron
Old 02-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

[email protected]
TNHagies, Thank you for posting that info. I just E-mailed them with my request for a Crush Rib 50/40 to fit the .499 and .498 TC bores. I hope the address above is correct.
The available MMP sabot is very tight in my Omega and extremely so in my Triumph and even though they will shoot very small groups they load so tight in the Triump that I hesitate to use them for hunting. Lee

Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 AM

EVERY ONE PLEASE DROP THEM A LINE EVEN IF YOU DON"T SHOOT THESE !!

RON

Quick Reply: 50/40 Sabot other than MMP? (Update)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.