Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How many grains of pyrodex RS? >

How many grains of pyrodex RS?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How many grains of pyrodex RS?

Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default How many grains of pyrodex RS?

I bought some pyrodex RS for my hawken and decided I would shoot it in my Winchester x-150 .45 cal ML. I shot 80 gr. and 100 gr. What would be the max grains of powder I could shoot and still be safe. I dont want to shoot a max load I just dont want to use to much powder.

Thanks a ton,

Die Hard
Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 PM

Default RE: How many grains of pyrodex RS?

Consult your manual...I think the X-150 is approved for 150gr mag charges but check anyways.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

In loose powder form, a lot of rifle max out at 120 grains but your owners manual will tell you. Pyrodex is a great powder. I think you will get some excellent results from it.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

I think but may be wrong that the winchesters have spanish made bbls and the max is 120grs of loose powder. Frontier Gander shot one alot before he sold it, he could help more than I can. It should also tell you in your manual. Kerry
Old 02-07-2008, 07:26 PM

max loose powder load is 100. This is due to the fact that winchester says this is close to maximum powder charge they can get to burn out of the 26" barrel. Winchester told me that i could go up to 110 but they said there will be unburnt powder coming out of the end of the barrel. And i agree with them. Ive done 110-120 and 150 grain Loose powder loads and it just makes a pretty sparkler show. They are also rated for 150 grain "3 Pellet" Loads.

What kind of bullet do you plan on shooting? Powerbelts or the 285 grain great plains conicals would be a good starting point.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Frontier gander- I am just shooting up some old 200 gr. Hornady SST's. I think im gonna try 90 & 100 gr. to see what kind of accuracy I can get.
I already have "my load" im just experimenting. I think I might start shooting pyrodex RS if I can get good accuracy from it. I am currently shooting pellets and get 1" 5 shot groups at 100. But loose powder is alot cheaper.

Die Hard
Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 PM

http://www.gbofreeforums.info/ThePow...topic.php?t=17

Take a look at that link. This helps the x-150 big time!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Used to use heavy charges of loose Pyrodex-up to 150 grains. Found out that it is not necessary. Now I use 100 grains of loose Pyrodex or two pellets.I some times shoot my rifle to check the zero or tounload it.This is done in the very low evening light. With two Pyrodex pellets there is usually no muzzle flash at all. There is a very little flash with 100 grains of loose Pyrodex.This is an indication that the charge is burning completely in the barrel.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Hey frontier gander I looked at the link at it sounds like a good idea.... Im just worried it will make my gun less accurate. It already shoots around 1" at 100 yards and I dont want to float the barrel and have it spray the same load. Do you think it could make my accuracy worse or just positives?

Thanks,

Die Hard
Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM

With a 1" group, i wouldnt even touch it

it wont hurt the rifle at all, but with your current groups, i'd leave it alone.

Quick Reply: How many grains of pyrodex RS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.