Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loading sabots

Old 02-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default Loading sabots

I have never fired a sabot before, so I've got a couple questions on that. You guys sick of it yet?

I assume you can just dump your powder into the barrel, and push the saboted bullet down on top of it, but I see some stuff that looks like it is made to attache to the bottom of the sabot or buffer the load in some way. What is the simplest and best?

Also, what type of powder receptacles do you use for in-field hunting? In the past I have used clear plastic film containers to measure powder into prior to going into the field. I figured that kept it relatively dry without my having to take the time to measure it out. My father had some similar plastic containers made just for the purpose that were much easier to pour out of.

You professionals might get a good laugh out of me, but I basically used the same bottle of pyrodex for several years at a time. I carried it in my poss. bag (which by the wayis my father's old gas mask bag from Nam.), I've got a brass powder measure, and I dump it in and shoot. If it looked like it wasunder 100 yds andwas a deer I wanted, It was probably going to die.

Well, I'm a little more precision oriented these days... I hope.

Dan
Old 02-03-2008, 11:31 AM

Default RE: Loading sabots

I use speed loaders. Easy to keep in your pocket, holds primer,bullet,powder charge.
I also use these instead of sabots. Sabots are a pain to load, Plus they are not legal in colorado.
Good bullets to put down game quickly.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:38 AM

You described it right...put the powder in, then load the sabot with the bullet in it. I'm guessing you saw sub-bases to put on the base of the sabot. Those are supposed to make more consistency with hot loads, but I've never used them and get good results. Speed loaders tocarry measured charges are a must for me...I also use a tube to put my bullets in with the sabots on them.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Here's a pic of my possibles bag I use with my Hawken. Thought you old timers might get a rise out of that.

Dan

Old 02-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Here's the contents, I suppose you guys will find this laughable, but that's the extent of my equipment (mainly) to this point in my life.

Dan

Old 02-03-2008, 12:45 PM

Speed loaders I like the TC brand But you won't have to worry about a holder for you Discs just throw some in a ziplock bag.

Ron
Old 02-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

eatsleephunt

Just to interject a thought - a lot of what you might load or the way that you might load it, even shoot, or hunt will be dependent on what style of ML shooting you are trying to emulate.

A lot of what you have shown me indicates that you might prefer the "traditional" side of ML shooting/hunting and thatdoes require or need different equipemnt that I might use being more to the modern end of the spectrum.

I have what you might call a "possibles bag" but know traditionalist in the world would call it that. I do use speed loaders, and as much as I can I prefer to shoot sabot/projectile.

I probably go to the range far over equipped and even while hunting I am probably over equiped. I am a firm believer in having a tool for the job.

Here is a picture of my range box and you can see what I mean...

Old 02-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Holy crap!!!

Thats' some goods man.

The reason I shot traditional was moreso because of my father. That's how I got into it years ago when I lived in Illinois. Today, I live in Montana, own a number of rifles, hand load and prefer a modern approach. Actually my organizational direction is similar to yours I guess.

My main reason for wanting to get an inline and an education thereof, is to further expand my possibilities for drawing tags and extending hunting seasons in the West. For example, I can put in for limited entry elk tags in various states and have a better chance of drawing them. The knight rifles seem to lend themselves to legal modification in all of these states.

Firstly, however, I want to learn how to push the envelope with said rifles. I'm a cf handloader, so I understand working up a load. I can always back off to the round ball or conical If I want to or need to for legal purposes, and I do have some understanding of how that goes.

But sabots, newer propellants, primers, rifles and bullets are a world away right now. You have helped immensely, as have others on this site (as always). I'll get there. I really am having a hard time waiting for that Knight disc ext. to show up on the door step though.... Seems like a bunch of guys ordered that from seeing it on this thread, hope there's one left for me!
Old 02-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

eatsleephunt

ut sabots, newer propellants, primers, rifles and bullets are a world away right now. You have helped immensely, as have others on this site (as always). I'll get there. I really am having a hard time waiting for that Knight disc ext. to show up on the door step though.... Seems like a bunch of guys ordered that from seeing it on this thread, hope there's one left for me!
You are not that far away believe me... it takes a little time and experimenting as I am sure you already know being a handloader. The best advice I could give you is follow the directions.

I really wish you had not gone the Disc Elite way as your first inline, ther is nothing wrong with the gun other than it is an old gun and you will be missing osme of the advances. If you were going to go Knight the KRB would have been my choice, and actually i do not know if Knight would have been my first choice. You may not be able to use the Disc in any of the 3 three northwest states or Colorado. You have to shoot percusion caps.

How much sidelock shooting have you done? What kind of sidelock do you shoot? What have you shot from the sidelock? What powder do you use? If you have all of these things handled making the jump to an inline will be know problem, but it will be a lot more fascinating and provide you a whole world of new challenges.

I am one state over in Idaho and the ML thing has bitten me so bad I do not even use my centerfires any longer, I love the challenge.

Loading sabots if a breeze if you have loaded slip fit conicals... no need for a short starter... if you have loaded conicals that require a short starter you will not need it if you get matched up to the correct sabot/projectile combination for your gun.

I was going to ask where are you at in Montana, but it really does not matter where ever you are in Montana is a world away from here.

Good luck to you...

mike
Old 02-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

What research I did prior to purchasing the Knight disc ext. told me that there are change out kits available to make it accept #11's or musket type primers. This is important, as you say, some states such as Idaho require the #11.

I talked with a rep. at Knight, and he informed me that Idaho is getting rid of the exposed hammer rule this year, so an inline style rifle will be legal again. I'm not sure the rolling block can be modified to be legal in all 50 states, but I know the disc, lrh and their old standby, the bighorn, can.

I own a Lyman great plains .50 cal Hawken and a .44 cal pennsylvania I inherited. I've shot two deer with the .50 in recent years. Years ago when I lived in Illinois I had a .45 cal pennsylvania and before that a .45 cal youth model hawken rifle. I have not shot alot, nor alot of stuff. I have also shot flintlocks my father built. As far as target shooting, I got into it quite a bit in my early 20's, but havn't shot much for awhile. I'm 37 now and live in West Yellowstone, Montana.

Anyway, I need to learn the inline "way" because I want to expand my hunting options/opportunities, like I said.

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Loading sabots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.