Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder question?

Old 02-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Powder question?

What is the difference between ffg or fffg designations on powders?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Powder question?

fffg is smaller granules in size then ffg. FFg is for large rifles, FFFg is for pistols and smaller caliber rifles.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Right - the more Fs, the finer the grain size.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

As stated it's the size of the granules.
I might also mention I pronounce it ffug or fffug. Often when a shot goes out of the group my first thought is of the powder granulation and I will mutter fffug!
Old 02-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

That's a very keen idea, I'm glad you passed that on wabi. The dude shooting at 75 yds in the 30mph crosswind could use that advise I'm sure.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:56 PM

I try to keep swearing down to a minimum

I need to learn how to control my trigger finger and let the wind die down before pulling it.

And it wasnt a cross wind, I live at the end of a canyon and the wind often swirls.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

One time about9 or10 years ago, one of my brother-in-laws came down to W. Yellowstone to elk hunt with me. He forgot his rifle. So, being the good guy I am, I loaned him my .300 win mag and pulled my ML out of the moth balls from back in good old Illinois.

So, I was shooting a .50 cal hawken type with 350 gr. TC maxiballs. I hadn't even looked at my powder in a couple of years since I had moved up from Oregon, so I pulled it all out and went out to "test-fire" prior to our elk hunt.

I set up a target along the logging road (on the way to our hunt loc.), and fired one shot at50 yards, at a paper plate stapled to a tree. The wind was howling so bad and I hadn't shot in a couple of years, that when I pulled the trigger I not only jerked it, but bucked at the recoil as well. Needless to say you could still eat off that plate without any leaks.

I hit the plate nearly dead center on the second shot, and called it good, unfortunately for me I didn't see an elk within 50 yds that day.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:27 PM

... How can you forget a rifle?!! Thats the first thing i put into the truck along with my loading equipment! lol now that is a funny story.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I know man. He just made Major in the US army two weeks ago, and we went to the ceremony in Livingston, Montana. He's a very professional guy, my brother-in-law, served in Bosnia, Iraq and is getting ready to deploy back to Iraq.

You would think a mistake like that would be out of the question, but hey, he was only a leiutenant then. About the time he made captain, he did remember his rifle on an elk hunt, and ended up shooting a hole in the floor board of his new Chevy truck. Blasted the p--- out of his catalytic converter, and we had toduct tape it so the fumes didn't kill im' on the way back to Bozeman.

Anyway, when he made major, his Colonel asked me for some dirt on him. I told the guy about him shooting a hole in his truck... dude, I thought he was going to scream right out of formation and duke my --s, but he held it until the end. I got a little retribution later though....

Dan
Old 02-03-2008, 08:09 PM

so which is better in my 50 cal...2 or 3 f goex....

Quick Reply: Powder question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.