Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My Leupold story.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My Leupold story.

I had a Bushnell dusk to dawn 2.5 x7 on my 50 cal. Remington. I Liked the scope except for the feild of view. I found it distracting to me seeing well over half the barrel each time I looked thru it.
Since my son left his rifle and scope when he moved I decided to try the Leupold 3x9x40 ver xII.
shot a 3 shot group adjusted the scope and shot again. Same point of impact. Adjusted the scope again and again the same point of impact.
Sent the scope to Leupold January 4th. Got a card from them on January 11th saying they had gotten it and told me how to find out any information I might want to know about my scope. I didn't bother them as I consider it an extra scope any way. I bought a new busnell for the Remington.
On January 25 UPSdroped off a package I wasn't expecting, it was the Leupold scope. There was a slip with it but didn't really say any thing about what was wrong with it.
Won't put on another ML though. Probably put it back on the sons rifle and try to trade the dusk to dawn for some thing I will like better like maybe a trophy.

Point is I feel the service was good IF it is indeed fixed (yet to try it). Only cost me about $7.00 to mail it to Leupold with insurance and confermation of recieveing it.

Al
Old 02-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My Leupold story.

I have not tested Leupolds' warranty, although I have 6 or 7 of them. I have never had one fail, not even under the repeated recoil of my .300 win mag over the last 5 years. No change in point of impact on my 30-06 scope either, which I have not adjusted for 8 years. Same, very nice.

I however have tested Sightron's, Tasco's and Burris' waranty, and all either fixed or replaced my optics in a reasonable amount of time, with the same or similar product.

Now, I'm not a Tasco fan really, but at least they perform service-wise if you go that route. I cannot say I care for the actual performance of their product, not even the world class stuff.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

I looked at a Leupold 2-7x33mm Shotgun scope at Wal Mart friday. It was very nice. $187.95 which I thought was fair. Very clear looking, nice cross hairs, good parallex, whether it is better then my Nikon .. who knows. I was thinking of getting it just to try on the range and see how I like it. I have an old Leupold on a center fire that has never been touched in 25 years, and I have no doubt that if I went out with the rifle it would shoot exactly where that scope is set. I like Leupold, its just I got away from them a while back. I also like the Bushnell line of scopes. I use them as well.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard of Leupold replacing unfixable 20 yr old scopes with brand new ones on centerfire forums. Hopefully you find their service just as good.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

All my guns wear Leupold... you can pay much much more for scopes but none are better.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

BP rifles will trash a regular rifle scope in a heart beat. Trust me i know. A couple of years ago I bought an Encore with BP barrel and thought I paid a good price for this gun I should put a good scope on it.

First I put a Bushnell Elite 3200 on the Encore and It ended upbusting the reticles. I sent itback and they fixed it.

Next I put a Burris Fullfield II on it. Well itdidn't lastlongbefore the shock of theBP vibrationsor resonics trashed it. I sent it back to the factory and got it back fixed but with a note that statedriflescopes should not be used on BP rifles.

I told a friend and he had the same problem andtold me togo out and buy a cheap (read, less expensive!) Bushnell Banner BP scope. I paid about $70 bucks and it lasted till I sold thepiece ofjunk Encore, but that is another story.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yooper

I would bet you a ton that whatever problem you had in your Leuy has been checked and repaired as necessary - not just the problem you reported but the scope has been checked from top to bottom for any other malfunctions. In fact you may not even have the same scope back.. if they needed to they would have replaced the scope with a proven scope.

I have had 3 different trophy scopes and each of them have perfromed very well for me, in fact for their cost to performance ratio I beleive it is an exceptional buy. Here is my problem and what i have done - for an $50 I can move to a Elite 3200 with rain guard lenses, better coating on the lenses and a better retuclue anchoring system in the scope - so for me I have made that change... if you would like to try a Trophy i have 2 of them sitting here on the self with very few miles on them.

Most any quality centerfire rifle scope will work on a rifle ML, it is somewhat a fallacy that you need to use a shotgun scope or a top end scope on a ML because of recoil. The recoil of a ML is not greater than some of the centerfires or even some 12 guage shotgun loads. I am still using a Tasco World Class on the A&H - it has been on there for several years - 100's of shots and may hunting seasons... it's POI has not changed, althought I do have and have bought many different scopes to replace it with when it fails... remeinds me of a Timex commecial.

Just my 2 cents......

Old 02-03-2008, 11:20 AM

I have 5 Leupold scopes and none of them have ever had to be touched since they were sighted in. I have VIII on a hopped up 338 and it has been flawless.I am not sure I buy the ML recoil more than big center fires. To me the ML is more of a heavy push. I also believe that a scope doesn't have to cost $400 to be a good scope. My bro in law will not look at a scope unless it is over $700 and he swears he can tell the difference. I cannot. We could soon price ourselves out of any sport if we only bought the Hi $ stuff. I cannot afford them!!
Old 02-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Most any quality centerfire rifle scope will work on a rifle ML, it is somewhat a fallacy that you need to use a shotgun scope or a top end scope on a ML because of recoil. The recoil of a ML is not greater than some of the centerfires or even some 12 guage shotgun loads."

I had thisattitude tooand it almost cost me theprice of two high value scopes. If this is a fallacy why would theoptic companies sell different classes ofscopes for eachof these categories??? Recoil has nothing to do with what I was talkingabout. I was talking about sonic vibrations. Shotgun/muzzleloader, centerfire rifles, rimfire rifles and last but not least - airguns - all havedifferent sonic vibrations or resonics (sp?). That is why these optic companies sell different classes of scopes. I don't want to act like I am some kindofscientist, but this is what I have read on and have had experiences with. I do understand about vibrations.

Once whileworking under the bellyof an F-15C tactical fighter jet on a tied down trimpad, the vibrations became so great when the aircraft was broughtto full maximum powerin afterburner that I had to get away from the jet andthrow up. I couldn't believe how sick to my stomach I had gotten. I never experiencedthis before or with otherfightersI had worked on.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

rafsob

I do not why you have had so many problems with scopes but I really think you are going in the wrong direction.

If you look at this pic you will see all kinds of different kinds of scopes that are one muzzleloader or another. Even the cheastest BSA riflescope @ $26.00 is surviving on a ML - it's optics are terrible but mechanically it works fine. There are a bunch of $60 Bushnell Dawn to Dusk scopes on a heck of a lot of ML's that are and have worked fine.

The scope companies will sell you anything they can if you believe in the rhetoric. The main difference has nothing to do with mechanics but more often to parralelax.

And again I am saying rifle scope not airgun or 22... There are cases of all scopes failing event the most expensive - but for you to think you need a special scope for a ML is nuts.

I can take any of these scopes and move them from a Ml to a 300 Win Mag or even my turkey shot gun... they will perform the same

I was talking about sonic vibrations. Shotgun/muzzleloader, centerfire rifles, rimfire rifles and last but not least - airguns - all havedifferent sonic vibrations or resonics (sp?).
I agree with that but you can change harmonics just by changing stocks - bedding the actions, beddding the barrels.... Rifle scope are built to with stand a wide range of of these harmonics and most often they do, but there is always the 1% that fail that is why the warranty.

Are there scopes that are stonger than others? sure there are but are they always necessary - no....

More scopes are damaged from abuse than from being shot on a ML or Aftrican big game cartridge.... ML's cause far less problems than some modern big game rifles.

Quick Reply: My Leupold story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.