Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need new ML, got some questions >

Need new ML, got some questions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need new ML, got some questions

Old 02-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need new ML, got some questions

I am looking into a new ML this year. I have tentatively decided on a knight inline because they are quickly adaptable to legality in all 50 states, as well as having a superb reputation. I also looked at White ML's.

Is there any advantage to having a .52 over a .50?

Does the Knight LRH, with a barrel length of 27" make a substantial difference over their normal 26" barrel length?

Which projectile/powder combinations make for the most accurate long range shooting (personal opinions based upon experience please)?

If you have answered the question above, where do you sight your gun in with respect to a 100yd zero, and what is your drop at 250yds.

To date, I have shot and hunted with my .50 cal hawken-style rifle and a .44 cal. pennsylvania I inherited. I have not shot a lot, and have not shot any of them for about 3 years now. Typically, I have hunted using 350+/- gr TC maxiballs and pyrodex powder. 75 yds was my longest kill shot. I am looking forward to getting an inline, and participating/learning about some of the newer ideas/products in the sport.

Help if you can.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 02-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need new ML, got some questions

Go with the 50. Just take a look at places that sell supplysfor Muzzle loaders and see how scares 52cal stuff is.

Al
Old 02-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Problem with the .52 cal is MMP doesn't make sabots for that cal. And I don't see any other choices over using the Knight bullets/sabots. Plenty of .475, .50 bullets--but no sabots to shoot them with.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Okay, so .52 stuff is hard to come by with respect to variety, but theremust be some reason it was designed for over the .50. Or maybe not?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

bigger hole for elk hunting... I'd get one if someone would produce sabots for it but I think it's doomed unless that happens...
Old 02-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

I think it was an experiment by Knight to reinvent the wheel with little success. The .50 will do everything the .52 will within reasonable conditions. I would look seriously at the KRB. I just bought one and it is a sweet well designed rifle. Just a little heavy and the stock is set up for a scope making the iron sights a little hard to get down on. White rifles are great but only available secondhand or on some old stock shelf somewhere. They are basically out of business. I bought a few used and most are in good shape but it is a gamble. I have one stainlessWhite 97 Whitetail Hunter I would consider selling but it is onlya 24inch barrel and you seem to think you wanta longer barrel. PM me if interested at [email protected]
Old 02-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Okay guys, I'm pretty sure a .50 is the answer then.

Any takers on my other questions?

Dan
Old 02-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

I think you'll find what you need at Toby Bridges web site:

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/MMLHome.html

Stuff on the LRH, load info, review on the .52, etc...
Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: eatsleephunt
Does the Knight LRH, with a barrel length of 27" make a substantial difference over their normal 26" barrel length?

Which projectile/powder combinations make for the most accurate long range shooting (personal opinions based upon experience please)?

If you have answered the question above, where do you sight your gun in with respect to a 100yd zero, and what is your drop at 250yds.
Not really, but every bit helps with slow-burning black powder.

Only your rifle will tell...I like 250gr T/C Shockwaves w/ 130gr RS in my Omega.

With a 130gr charge of RS and a 250gr Shockwave, sight 3" high at 100, be about 15" low at 250.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:57 AM

eatsleephunt

As far as the .52cal over the .50cal no advantages at all , .52cal Very hard to find supplys - Bullets ECT. you will have to special order every thing or buy it directly through Knight. .50cal Supplys every were Bullets you can buy in bulk (cheeper ) sabots MMP or Harvester every were !

Glad to here you are thinking about a Knight Rifle they are IMO the Best for Both worlds ( saboted Bullets & Conicals ) I own several knights and all of them will shoot 1" shot groups @100 yds I have 4 Disc Extrems 2 -.45cal 2 -.50cal I also have a new KRB7 wich is very fast becoming my favorite goto gun WHY I is one of the most simple guns I have ever owned Easy Cleaning Very Very Accurate I shoot a BullShop Custom Conical bullet in my KRB7 ( .504 460gr NEX & a 443gr .504 U C Short with a over the powder wad and 85gr 2fg loose 777 powder) I have also shot Saboted Bullets over 95gr of 777 powder with supper accuracy.
The only way that you are going to be able to tell what your gun is going to like as far as a powder charge & bullets is to just start experaminting with differant ones.

If I were you I would look VERY VERY hard at the Disc Extreme & the KRB7 both are super Guns and alot cheeper than the LRH !

Quick Reply: Need new ML, got some questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.