Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Newbie need help, please >

Newbie need help, please

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Newbie need help, please

Old 01-29-2008, 05:05 PM

Default Newbie need help, please

I am looking into purchasing a flintlock for the first time. I am a lefty and know that I am limited to the rifles I can buy. I am looking at the Lyman line of guns. The3 available are the:

Great Plains Rifle .50 cal
32" barrel
1 in 60" twist

Great Plains Hunter .50 cal
? barrel length
1 in 32" twist

Deerstalker .50 cal
24" barrel
1 in 48" twist

Why the difference in the length of the barrels? What kind of twist do I need toshoot sabots? The Deerstalker is about 100 dollars cheaper than the other 2, but I'd rather spend the extra if it is going to perform better.
Is there any other southpaw manufacturers out there?
Any info and opinions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Spike

Default RE: Newbie need help, please

Well I am a lefty as well and I have way more muzzleloaders than one needs. If you are patient you can find them on gunbroker.com etc.

In left handed I have:

TC Renegade 54 percussion (found asa kit)
TC New Englander 12 gauge percussion (gunbroker.com)
Lyman GPR 50 percussion
Lyman GPR 50 flint
Dixie Gun Works Hawkin 50 flint (really a lyman trade)
Traditions Hawkin 50 percussion
TVM fowler 62 flint
TVM Iron Pennsylvania 50 flint

So I guess what I am getting at, they are out there.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:18 PM

Deer902

The 1/60 twist is for roundballs
the 1/48 twist will shoot conicals good
The 1/32 twist is going to be your best bet for sabots
But JMO if I had a gun like this I would want to shoot conicals But that is Me !!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Spike

Guess I should say something about the twists, barrels etc. The lyman GPR is a great rifle. The 1:60 twist is a really good round ball shooter as well as Hornady PA conicals. The hunter with the 1:32 will shoot sabots just fine.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Dominant Buck

The Lyman Great Plains Hunter with the 1-32 twist will be the best option if you want to shoot sabots. Another option is find a rifle that has a drop in barrel ability and you can then get a Green Mountain Barrel with a 1-28 twist that will shoot sabots with a good powerful charge.

From what I have read in posts, the GPH seems to be a real good shooter... My friend has one, but he shoots Lyman Maxi Ball out of his with some amazing accuracy.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The GPR is longer and heavier than the Deerstalker, more traditional if you will.
I have a Lyman Trade Rifle in .50 perc with a 1:48 twist and it loves conicals. Adores the LEE REAL bullets.
Does pretty good with round balls, but if I was looking for a roundball shooter, I'd look in the 1:60 and above range.
1:48 is a good compromise between a roundball and a sabot shooter. Mine shoots conicals just fine.
Check this.....
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2562026&mpage=1&key=&#256244 0
Old 01-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Deer902

I am looking into purchasing a flintlock for the first time. I am a lefty and know that I am limited to the rifles I can buy. I am looking at the Lyman line of guns. The3 available are the:

Great Plains Rifle .50 cal
32" barrel
1 in 60" twist

Great Plains Hunter .50 cal
? barrel length
1 in 32" twist

Deerstalker .50 cal
24" barrel
1 in 48" twist

Why the difference in the length of the barrels? What kind of twist do I need toshoot sabots? The Deerstalker is about 100 dollars cheaper than the other 2, but I'd rather spend the extra if it is going to perform better.
Is there any other southpaw manufacturers out there?
Any info and opinions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Get one with a Double trigger, more accurate. I shoot Sabots in my TC 1:48 twist FL, but I have sighted it in only at 50 yards. I just bought a Green Mountain 1:28 twist barrel. I shoot Crushed rib sabot and speer Gold Dot 300g with 80g of Goex, good accuracy at 50 yards, open sights.
Chap
Old 01-29-2008, 06:19 PM

Thanks guys.
So
1 in 60" for round ball
1 in 48" for both
and 1 in 24" for sabots, Right?

Forgive me but what is a conicle? and what twist am I looking for that bullet?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:24 PM

i hardly doubt double triggers makes the rifle any more accurate. My deer creek is set up for single trigger right now, also has an interchangable double trigger. Double trigger IMO has quite a bit of creep and grit to them. As long as the single trigger has an adjustable tumbler for "trigger" adjustment, there wont be any accuracy difference.

My deer creek is set up right now with a single trigger and adjustable tumbler while my TC New englander had a preset trigger. A stiff 4lb pull on the TC VS a trigger thats under 2lb pull on the deer creek.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:25 PM

1:24 - 1:28 will do for sabots and conicals.

Quick Reply: Newbie need help, please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.