Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tell me what my KRB will  like >

Tell me what my KRB will like

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tell me what my KRB will like

Old 01-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Spike

Default Tell me what my KRB will like

Weather looks like it's gonna be benchable tommorrow.Had my KRB for about 3 weeks now.Weather and job stuff been in the way ever since.Tommorrow is the day.What would you put down the chute first.Have been shooting sabots w/gold dots,xtps, nosler partitions and sst's out of my Omega's.Kinda want to (I think)use the same combos.Have heard the KRB is a real conical shooter.I don't know a thing about conicals.Maybe some of you conical/KRB shooters could point mein the right direction.Not to be too stupid(I really am though)do you simply load them right on top of your charge?Just tell me the conical process if you please.With gr.suggestions,type,charge and any tips.Thanks for your help. hunt4me
Old 01-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tell me what my KRB will like

I shotsome 320 grain LEE REAL bullet with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS out of mine a couple of days ago with really good results. I shot at 50 yds, didn't mount the scope yet, and kept the holes in a 2 - 2 1/2 inch group ( best grouping of the day).
I'm sure once I get it scoped that'll tighten up and I'll see what it does at 100 yds. My eyes aren't what they used to be.[:@]

Didn't try any sabots. I'm kind of a homecast projectile kind of guy.
I did try some of the No Excuses 460 grain with 100, then 110, then 120 grains of Pyro RS and couldn't really tell a difference in accuracy between them. But like I said, I'll scope it, then really test some loads.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:19 PM

I sighted one in for a friend and it shot pretty good groups. He wanted to Use either Nosler or Barnes bullets and T7. I used 105 gr T7 with the 250gr Barnes and 2 of the 3 shots touched at 100yds. The group was right at 1 1/4 inches. He settled on the Nosler 260 gr with 100 gr T7 for this year. It was about the same size group. And he had 50 Noslers in his bag. I liked the KRB and I had one coming. I let another friend buy it. I may at a later date order another one but I know where a Knight Master Hunter may be available later on this summer.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Geezz, 120gr of powder behind a 460, ouch. I shoot them with 90gr of 777 and after about half a dozen shots my shoulder is starting to bruise. They sure shoot well though. I've shot them with and without a wad in one gun and didn't notice a difference, some guns need the wad or a card under the bullet to get best accuracy, you'll just have to try it to see.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Spike

Thanks guys.If I settle on sabots do you feel I should be able to find an accurate load.I guess what I'm asking is ,is the KRB made mostly for conicals?I don't mind,in fact enjoy bench and test time.Shot a ton of different combos.Took me about two years to get my Omegas down to an inch(with 250 sst's)noslers and gold dots go to 1 1/4 to1 1/2".Hunt w/the GD and Noslers.Shot one deer,a nice 8 w/sst's'had to go find him.Went straight through,no expansion at 45yds.One day put 110gr.in and BAM THERE IT WAS ,HARMONY.Fact is I enjoy watching that smoke appear and maybe putting 30 to 40 rounds off at each session.Sounds like conicals talk back a bit.Am I missing something or simply going down the wrong road? hunt4me
Old 01-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mcawful

I shotsome 320 grain LEE REAL bullet with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS out of mine a couple of days ago with really good results. I shot at 50 yds, didn't mount the scope yet, and kept the holes in a 2 - 2 1/2 inch group ( best grouping of the day).
I'm sure once I get it scoped that'll tighten up and I'll see what it does at 100 yds. My eyes aren't what they used to be.[:@]

I did try some of the No Excuses 460 grain with 100, then 110, then 120 grains of Pyro RS and couldn't really tell a difference in accuracy between them. But like I said, I'll scope it, then really test some loads.

You probably couldn't tell the difference because of the numbness. 120 gr behind that big conical---you must be ONE TOUGH DUDE

Charlie
Old 01-29-2008, 05:11 PM

Hunt4me

I bought a KRB7 inearly nov. to be stricktly a conical shooter and I can tell you I was not dissapointed at all.
I tryed several diff. styles WTs and Brands and have went with the .504 460gr NEX & the 443gr U C Shorts from Bullshop they shoot Identical with a over the powder wad and 85gr of loose 2fg 777 powder I also got really good Accuracy out of the 385gr Hornady GP conical with 80gr of 777 & no wad . When shooting Conicals you have to remmember to keep your powder charges at 90gr and under you try to push them to fast and hard and your accuracy will fall all to h--- because when you push them that hard you could start to lead your barrle up. I actually like to stay under 85gr as long as the accuracy is still there, If I were you and U think U mite want to try some conicals I would pick up a box or two of the 385gr or 410gr Hornady GP conicals and try them with 75gr & 80gr of powder first to see if you are even going to like them . If you do try them I think you will like them alot. Also remmember when loading conicals to use a flat faced loading jag because if you try useing the loading tips made for saboted bullets you can deform the lead and hence have accuracy probblems . I have shot mine about 300 time sence I got it and most of it was trying differant bullet powder combos , and with the loades stated erllyer I am shooting a 6 shot group at 100yds of 1" to 1.50" and most guys arn't even getting that with saboted bullets BUT I shoot aLot Alot Alot. And unless you use a over the powder wad then you do load the conical on top of the powder and seat it firmly.

REmmember do not hessatate to PM me with any Quest. that u may have any time .

Ron

Old 01-29-2008, 05:13 PM

ALso PM me if you would like to try some of dans Bullshop conicals.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

This may give you a clue...http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2584120
Old 01-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chasam60

ORIGINAL: mcawful

You probably couldn't tell the difference because of the numbness. 120 gr behind that big conical---you must be ONE TOUGH DUDE

Charlie
LOL.....didn't say I couldn't tell the diff in recoil, only accuracy..
Those 460 NE bullets and that load left a purple mark on me
Hotter ain't always better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.