Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 50 cal knockdown power >

50 cal knockdown power

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

50 cal knockdown power

Old 01-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 50 cal knockdown power

I have killed 4 deer with the Barnes 290gr TMZ ( the ones with the plastic tip ) and 3 of them never took a step and the other one stumbled less than 20 yds. These shots ranged from 25 to a little over 50 yds, I used 120grs of 777, out of my Omega.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:14 PM

sounds like you just hit the brisket, that will leave little to no blood trail and most of the time will knock one down.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you either a) missed the vitals or b) the bullet hit bone and fragmented explosively on the surface.

I've shot all types of bullets and killed over 100 deer and never had one hit through the lungs or heart go far. The few bad shots sometimes resembled what you described.

Without being too graphic, I've helped track deer than lost half their digestive tract to one or more 12gauge slugs and made it half a mile or more. Devastation doesn't mean much if it isn't the chest, and if you're in the chest the difference between bullets isn't very significant.

I've tried the 300gr Precision Rifle Keith Nose hollowpoint, a hunk of soft lead with a gaping wide hollowpoint. They expand more than the size of a quarter, yet don't put deer down any quicker than a 200gr Shockwave.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:22 PM

the shot was well placed, (by luck) mainly due to the area that was bleeding. He stood up, staggering, then walked off slowly. There was definately an entry wound just to the aft side of the shoulder. Im not an expert hunter....just one with "frequent flyer miles". Thanks!
Old 01-28-2008, 04:23 PM

heres one that took a 300gr speer plated soft point to the shoulder, he went about two feet and that was straight down.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: grunterhunter6574

I have a 50 caliber inline muzzleloader, I am looking for the most accurate 300 grain bullet available. I now shoot Hornady sabots in 300 grain. I shot a buck on jan. 26th at 40 yards with 100 grain pyrodex pellets. The shot was well placed in the shoulder direct broadside. The buck flipped over on his back, stood up, and then slowly walked off. It was lightly raining and I pursued him after 30 minutes. There was no blood trail what-so-ever and therefore I wasn't able to find him. I am in search of the most devastating black powder bullet available. Any ideas???
Both the Nosler and the Barnes are excellent, of the two, becuase of the HUGE hollow point of the Barnes they would be best for close shots. Just curious, what bullet did you hit the buck with? Chap Gleason
Old 01-28-2008, 04:55 PM

thanks for the input...I used a hornady sabot 45-300 gr. XTP MAG. I am new to the whole black powder hunting scene and dearly love it. My gun was given to me from my brother-in-law. It shoots very well...1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. We have a shooting range at our home and I shoot it quite often. There was another reply to my post that states I might have hit bone and had a large fragmentation, this sounds very practical. I wish I knew more about muzzleloaders, but unfortunately I do not. This time next year I will be able to reply to others in search of answers. Until then...its all about learning,(for me anyhow). Thank you all!
Old 01-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

From your description of the load and the shot I'd guess the bullet either hit the shoulder bone and fragmented or went through the muscle above the spine. The muscle shot should have cause a lot of bleeding, but with the rain????
The 300 grXTPs has killed the only two I ever shot with them, but both of those shots were right into the heart/lung area. I think of the XTP as a "fragmenting" bullet at muzzleloading rifle velocities and place it to avoid anything more than ribs when it comes to bones. For a shoulder shot one of the bonded bullets or an all lead conical would give much better results. I like the Barnes Expander MZ as my #1 choice, but unfortunately not every rifle likes them. The only reason I was using XTPs this year was that the inline I had didn't shoot the Barnes nearly as accurately as the XTP. I hope (if I keep that rifle until next season) to find a sabot that will fit the Barnes better in that bore and give good groups.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: grunterhunter6574

thanks for the input...I used a hornady sabot 45-300 gr. XTP MAG. I am new to the whole black powder hunting scene and dearly love it. My gun was given to me from my brother-in-law. It shoots very well...1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. We have a shooting range at our home and I shoot it quite often. There was another reply to my post that states I might have hit bone and had a large fragmentation, this sounds very practical. I wish I knew more about muzzleloaders, but unfortunately I do not. This time next year I will be able to reply to others in search of answers. Until then...its all about learning,(for me anyhow). Thank you all!
The XTP Mag is a good bullet especially in 300g, however it does fragment loosing it's jacket in high velocity shots, like your's--from what I have read---I have a friend that uses the 240g with good results. I recommend the Barnes MZ, TMZ, Barnes Origonals in 300g in .458 diameter with Orange sabot or Crushed Rib sabot (yep the .452 sabot), also the Barnes XPB in 275g is a good bullet. Randy Wakeman talks about all these on his Web site. Www.RandyWakeman.com.Best wishes onyour bullet choice. Since you said a year from now you will know a lot more, may I suggest some resources:

1) buy a copy of the book "Rifle Bullets for the Hunter: A Definitive Study"

http://www.ramworks.net/estore.html

2) read this article on ML bullet performance:

http://www.snipersparadise.com/tsmag/July03/july03.htm

3) Read articles by folks on "Chuck Hawks Web Site"on bullet performance

4) read things by Bryce Towsley, google that, on bullet performance,

5) Pick out a few good bullets--Nosler, Barnes, Speer Gold Dot--and read all the content on Cabelas and Midway on "Product Reviews". Google Nosler Fragments, Barnes Fragments or Speer Gold Dot Fragments and see what you get. Do the same thing for XTP and Powerbelt.
Chap Gleason
Old 01-28-2008, 07:46 PM

i'll still take a powerbelt over a sabot.

Quick Reply: 50 cal knockdown power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.