Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Warne QD rings

Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Warne QD rings

I just bought my first scope for a Muzzleloader. I bought the Nikon pro staff bdc3-9 X 40. I wanted to buy the Warne QD rings in the medium height but they only had the low and high on hand. The salesman was sure I would be happy with the high ones so I bought them, but now I am wondering if I should have waited for some medium ones. I can always take them back and I haven't mounted the scope yet. Kind of wondering what height everyone else uses. The gun is a disc extreme.
Thanks, Art
Old 01-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Warne QD rings

Personally I like the Medium. The high ones would work fine, but I do not like my scope that high off the barrel. Those are made for a larger bell on a scope. The Pro Staff is a great scope. I use medium Warne QD rings on both my Knights with that scope. No way would I change. But to each their own. It sounds like the salesman wanted to sell something.

With a long scope you might have to pull the front sights using a medium ring. I am not sure the Disc Extreme even have sights though. I know one of them don't. With the Pro Staff they line up right behind the rear sights.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:43 AM

I have Both MED & High on my Extremes and I prefer the high makes loading the Discs a lot easyer !!!
Old 01-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

I would mount the scope and see if ya like it. If not send em back and get the mediums. Personally I like the Mediums better.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

While I like to keep the bell (objective) as close to the barrel as possible, #1 priority is fit for my head positioning and cheek weld.Could be low, med or high depending on the stock design...however most times med rings are the winner. Like mentioned mount the scope and see how it feels. If yourlifting, canting,etc to have a clearsite pictureexchange them for meds. The best way to test this, just like setting upyour scope for ER. Close your eyes, shoulderthe rifle bringing it/you into theposition like you are going to fire and open your eyes.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to go ahead and mount it. Cabela's is only about 20 miles away and the salesman told me if I don't like them I can always exchange them. I guess I would like to keep my open sights on the gun since we to use open sights during muzzleloader season so that might be a consideration also.
The difference between the mediums and the highs can't be more than 3/8 of an inch but I'm sure that can make a difference.
Thanks for the help,
Art