HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   what traditional ml would be a good one to start with? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/228984-what-traditional-ml-would-good-one-start.html)

rockyshamrock 01-24-2008 10:18 PM

what traditional ml would be a good one to start with?

I'm thinking about getting a traditional 50 or 54 cal ml. i have been hunting with a in line for 6 years now. i love it. just wanting to get some opinions on some of the rifles out there and which ones would be a good on to start with.

frontier gander 01-24-2008 10:39 PM

RE: what traditional ml would be a good one to start with?

lyman great plains rifle. If you want to shoot patched roundballs, Go with the bigger .54 caliber. Gives a bigger hole and thump at the recieving end.

midsouth sells the Kits for $300. I bought one and love it.

cayugad 01-24-2008 10:48 PM

A good rifle is a T/C Renegade in .54 caliber. It is a do it all rifle and there are some excellent drop in barrels you can purchase for it down the road if you find you like the traditional route. They are accurate, easy to take care of, and a great customer service. Keep watch on the auction sites. Good used ones are on there and can often times be had for around $175-$250. And since you're starting with traditional, stick with the percussion cap models for now. Later, you can play with flintlocks.

rockyshamrock 01-24-2008 10:59 PM

that was my next question. percussion or flint lock. i was leaning toward percussion but wasn't sure. what about the twist. what peep site would you use on either gun.

gleason.chapman 01-25-2008 04:00 AM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

A good rifle is a T/C Renegade in .54 caliber. It is a do it all rifle and there are some excellent drop in barrels you can purchase for it down the road if you find you like the traditional route. They are accurate, easy to take care of, and a great customer service. Keep watch on the auction sites. Good used ones are on there and can often times be had for around $175-$250. And since you're starting with traditional, stick with the percussion cap models for now. Later, you can play with flintlocks.
+1, I bought my TC FL on Gunbroker for $300 delivered. The gun was like new. Lyman or TC, get the percussion unless where you want to hunt allows FL only, which is my case in Penna, where I hunt FL with my brother. Chap Gleason

mcawful 01-25-2008 04:43 AM

I have a Lyman Trade rifle. Percussion in .50,.... I shot a friends Great Plains Rifle by Lymanand am now wishing I had bought the Great Plains. His is the 1:60 twist and is incredibly accurate with patched roundballs. The Trade rifle is 1:48 twist and is accurate with RB, but not like that Great Plains. The Trade Rifle shoots conicals better, though. I like the .50, but like Fg said, I'd get the .54 if hunting was my main goal.

Lyman does make a version of the Great Plains in a faster twist for conicals.
It's called the Great Plains Hunter and the twist is a fast 1:32. Also available in .50 or .54
I bought my Trade Rifle here....
http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/Lyman_Muzzleloaders.html

bronko22000 01-25-2008 05:39 AM

Again I have to agree with Cayugad. Either the T/C Renegade or the Hawken are both excellent rifles and good used ones are fairly easy to find. Only one additional comment. Check your state's regs for hunting. Some primitive seasons only allow the use of flintlocks (PA for one). If the percussion is legal I would suggest you try that first. The flinters take a bit more getting used to and are a bit more finicky if not loaded (frizzen) properly. Most of the 'delays' you hear about are from people filling the pan too full and getting a fuse type effect.
I don't even own an in-line anymore. All my MLs are sidelocks (and all are T/Cs).

little-d 01-25-2008 06:34 AM

i went through a bunch(two hawkens,renagade,cvas,ect)before i found my favorite its a t.c. white mountain carbine 50 cal. before you buy another hold one of these little rifles.

rockyshamrock 01-25-2008 08:12 AM

i have looked at them they are good looking guns. haven't found a Tc renegade yet. I'm looking to go new i have around 900 saved to buy a new gun. i was going to get a new center fire in 270 or 30-06 but decided i would get a new traditional ml instead. i think I'm leaning toward the Lyman great plains in the 1 in 60 twist. shooting the patched round balls sounds like fun. but i want to find a renegade to look at. what about the Tc Hawkins. will the renegade or Hawkins shot the patched round balls OK. i have two 50 cal in lines so if I'm stuck with shooting patched balls in the Lyman , renegade, or Hawkins not that big a deal for me.

gleason.chapman 01-25-2008 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: little-d

i went through a bunch(two hawkens,renagade,cvas,ect)before i found my favorite its a t.c. white mountain carbine 50 cal. before you buy another hold one of these little rifles.
I would agree on the carbine. I just bought a 21" Green Mountain FL barrel for my TC Hawken ($95 via phone call, got it this week), for what I need (deer drives), this is the perfect weight and length. Another option is to put together a complete gun from parts. A gun that has been ruined on the barrel and lock can be had for say $50 or $60, buy and L&R lock and a TC Barrel and you have a new gun, that is a shooter.Just some ideas for you to consider TC FL and Percussion are pretty interchangable. Also consider an RMC Sports AccurSporter, they are beautiful looking and shooting, but they are $600 new (I want one of those).
Chap Gleason