Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Poor performance shockwave 50gr. >

Poor performance shockwave 50gr.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Poor performance shockwave 50gr.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Poor performance shockwave 50gr.

This saturday I placed a shot through the front shoulder of a 150 pound doe, and thought I had made a clean kill. After waiting about twenty minutes I went looking and found the deer scrambling around about 100 yds from where I shot it.

It was getting dark so I decided to come back the next morning, when I got to the deer it was still very warm, which I think means that it died very soon before I arrived as it is is below zero here in Iowa. I was sort of upset about he kill and felt bad about it taking so long.

The bullet went in through the front shoulder and out the opposite shoulder, travelling through both bones - how this did not sever anything vital enough for a kill I dont know. There was no bullet expansion after examining both the entry and exit thouroghly.

This alarmed me so I decided to look for the bullet, because I know exactly where I was sitting because it was in a stand and I remembered when the deer was standing. After looking for quite a while a found the bullet in a tree about two feet up and after digging it out, was amazed to find that it was the exact same shape and size as a new bullet.

You could not tell that it had been shot except for the nose was slightly smashed.

After seeing this I cant use this bullet anymore, even if it was a fluke thing, on whitetail anymore.

I bought a bunch of 300 gr Hornady xtp mags from close out at Wal Mart and took one deer yesterday with a large wound channel and large exit wound.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Poor performance shockwave 50gr.

I have had pretty good luck with the 250grn shockwaves and 100grns 777. How do those hornady bullets shoot outta your gun, are they as accurate?

Why didnt you shoot the deer again?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

I meant shockwave 250 gr.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

Did the hornady exit? Also can you post a picture of the shockwave, I have never recovered one, if you have the hornady post a picture of it to, Thanks..
Old 01-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

These Hornadys come out of my Omega better, I believe. They are much harder to load going down, so they seem to come out better. I have gotten tighter groups, but I have only shot 13 or so shots.

I didnt shoot it again because I believed that I made a good shot but is was just taking long for some reason. It seems like the right thing to do to leave it alone.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

I may have to try some of them bullets out..

I would have shot the deer again if I could have just in case. If it made it a 100 yards and was still alive, i definately would have tried to shoot again.

I have had good luck with shockwaves, but I like to tinker and try new things. I believe there is always something better....
Old 01-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

andrewjoseph

This not that all of an uncommon story with the SST/SW at closer ranges. I am assuming you ment 250 grain SW.

IfI could I would recommend to you to try some Speer Gold Dot 250 grain HP. I shoot Noslers .451/260 grain but they are expensive, and I + plus several other have found the Bonded Gold with managed expansion realy work well. They are the closest thing thiing to Nosler that I have found but a real resaonable price.

I forgot what gun are you shooting? Nevermind you answered the question... I shoot Gold Dot from a Omega also and I am able to load it comfortably with a MMP HPH-24 sabot or regular Harvester, but if your barrel is tight you might need to try a HPH-3p-EZ or a Crush rib...

Here is a pic ofan some expanded GD's that I have collected from a saturateddirt clay water bar. These were shot at a 100 yards into the bank. You can see they expand only so far then the base which remains intact keeps driving the bullet forward.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

andrewjoseph

Here is a recovered Nosler that shows the same characteristics. The bullet opens to a given point, the base stays intact and drives the bullet in for penetration. If you compare this pic to the ones above you can see the GD's expand to the dot and the base remains intact.

This was recovered from an elk shot late in December.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot two deer and a coyote with 300 grain bonded SWs and was pleased with thier performance. All were pass throughs and one deer was a bang flop. They shoot great out of my Omega as well. I would have had a 3rd deer this past Sun. during the IL late season. I think I caught too much briskit on a 69 yard broadside shot from a treestand. I found bone and meat at the site of the shot as well as the blue tip from my bullet. It was laying on top of the snow, can you believe that! Needless to say having tracked it for a hundred yards or so and kicking it up, we pulled out. It snowed the next day before any of us could go back out to look. Three of us looked about three hours Mon. and were not able to find it. Not the bullets fault but I figured I would tell a SW story.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

So far i have killed8 deer and about 15 hogswith the 250 grain SST/Shockwave bullet. The gun isan Encore.The powder charge hasvariedfrom 90 grains to 120 grains of JSG. I am currently using a weighed charge of 110 grains.Some of the SST bullets have penetrated and some have not. A coupledeerwere deliberately shot high in the shoulder: One of the bullets penetrated with good expansion: The other did not penetrate.Some of the deer hit behind the shoulder hadpass throughswith good expansion. One deer was shot in the neck-huge exit hole.

Most hogs that were shot in the heart/lung area had pass throughs with good expansion.One hog had a three inch exit hole where the bullet or bullet fragments took out four ribs. Shota 150pound hog at a lasered 192 yards with the Encore and 90 grains of JSG. The bullet broke two ribs goingin and did notpenetrate thefar side. This is the only 250 grain SST that i have recovered.Shot a hog last week that weighed about 225 pounds on the hoof:He was deliberately hit high in theshoulder. The bullet did not penetrate. No animal that was shot by me with the 250 grain SST bullet has goneover 20 yards after being hit.

Quick Reply: Poor performance shockwave 50gr.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.