HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Over powder wad or cornmeal? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/228661-over-powder-wad-cornmeal.html)

mcawful 01-23-2008 06:22 AM

Over powder wad or cornmeal?

Which have you fellers had the best luck with?
Still trying to get better accuracy out of my Trade Rifle with PRBs. I bought some of the T/C wads at BassPro yesterday, but 50 of em for $10?
Gotta be a better (and cheaper) way.
Haven't gone the cornmeal route yet, maybe that's the ticket.
How much cornmeal over the powder?
Do I have to add eggs and milk?:D

dmurphy317 01-23-2008 06:54 AM

RE: Over powder wad or cornmeal?

Along withthe eggs and milk, just add some butter and salt. Oh wait, this is for shooting not eating.:D

I would try both since you already have the wads but the cornmeal may conform to the shape of the PRB better and still give you the buffer your looking for. Best way to know is try them both.

mcawful 01-23-2008 07:05 AM

Thanks, David.
About how much do you put down there?
10-20 grains?

lemoyne 01-23-2008 08:36 AM

mcawful,"How much corn meal?" It depends on several things, like the caliber, the condition of the barrel, if its rifled or not. To give a starting point, a 50 caliber rifled barrel in good shape with a tight fitting patch and ball 20 gr by volume is plenty. if its rough or has pitts or the patch and ball is not a tight fit add 10. Lee

Indiana SmokePole 01-23-2008 08:51 AM

mcawful

I buy my over the powdwer wads through Track of the wolf I get 1000 for $7.50 with shipping it is about $10.00 I shoot the .510-a

www.trackofthewolf.com

dvdegeorge 01-23-2008 09:03 AM

IndianaSmokePole(or anyone else who uses the wads), do you see better accuracy using a wad with the No Excuse conicals rather than without? If so how much difference in groups?

bronko22000 01-23-2008 09:03 AM

I took the advice of Cayugad and several others and started using the felt wads with my 50 cals and my 54 cal. using conicals and PRBs. I would have to say that my accuracy increased by 50% or better. I suspect there are several reasons for the increased accuracy. Which may include more consistant pressure and reduced fouling. Who knows why but I won't shoot my MLs without them now.
I picked up a bunch of 50 and 54 cal wads at a gun show a few months ago for $3 a bag of 100. I got all the guy had.

Indiana SmokePole 01-23-2008 09:11 AM

O most Deff. with out I had a good shot group but could not get them to tighten up better than 2.5 - 2.75"
with the wads I shoot a 1" to 1.25 shot group at 100yds . I shoot the BullShop Conicals in a .504 460gr NEX & 443gr UC Shorts with 85gr 2fg loose 777 & win T7 primers out of my KRB7. I think I was getting to much Blowby to keep a consistant Preshure behind the Bullets. Made a Big Differance.

dmurphy317 01-23-2008 10:50 AM

Wads under the big conicals may or may not help, it depends on the gun and load. I found no difference when shooting the No Excuse 460 in 2 of my guns. When shooting the Bull Shop's I needed a shot card to get a tighter group, I haven't tried a wad yet with that bullet. Give it a try both ways and see.

mcawful 01-23-2008 11:15 AM

Other than ordering online, the only option I'm left with is cornmeal or cutting my own.
Finding the felt material in the proper thickness at a reasonable price may be a task.
Lee, it's a Trade Rifle in .50, darn near new. I've probably put 100 Rbs and60 or so conicals through it since I got it.
The bore is spotless. Or darn near.