Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

krb7

Old 01-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: krb7

Dave really needs a KP1 so he can shoot the heck out of it, post his results, and get all these guys off my butt for not shooting more.

He doesn't mind freezing.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

Looked at both the KP1 and KRB7 and as purely a muzzleloader the KRB7 seem a better mouse trap. I like the hammer on the KRB7 better and cleaning the KP1 looks like it would be more of a chore.YMMV
Old 01-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

It shore is purty, Dave. It feels good in the hands and has a good heft to it. The stock (composite on mine) is substantial. Not hollow or feeling like it's made by MATTEL. It breaks down so easy for cleaning, ...why, I can have it apart and ready to clean in about a minute.
Even scoped, it's so easy to slip that 209 in there, once that block is rotated down. Knight really did do it right ,for meat least.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read some place where they (Knight)said there were 6 proto types before the one that was put on the market there fore KRB 7.
I had posted that a long time back maybe last spring.

Al
Old 01-23-2008, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I named FG as probably saying that, but I probably read your post.
I don't mind 6 prototypes before they got it right. At least they didn't put the KRB1 on the shelf.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

keep clicking for a very large visual comparison. That broken hammer-mounted safety on the Bass Pro KRB7 worries me. No telling what abuse that rifle had suffered but I have to wonder if that is going to be a common failure for the rifle?? The KRB's buttstock smallish by comparison to the KP1 which MIGHT mean distribution of recoil will not be handled as well. I didn't care for the rolling "block" either as the one on the newer stainless model they had on display was difficult to operate ... does that wear in and get easier?

But the cleaning differences surely are remarkable - with the KRB winning that match easily. I've yet to shoot the KP1 using the plastic jacket system and that might well reduce blowback into the action. I'll try that next outing - hopefully we'll have a nicer day before too long, maybe February. The great thing about both these rifles is it looks like either will handle both conicals and sabot loads well. Now if Knight would only see fit to provide a decent ramrod as standard issue.

So I couldn't fault anyone for buying either model as either should be a great choice. Just don't buy that broken, blued KRB7 at BassPro in Springfield, MO.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

I didn't care for the rolling "block" either as the one on the newer stainless model they had on display was difficult to operate ... does that wear in and get easier?
Mine was a little stiff, so I squirted some RemOil down the sides of the block, and worked it for about an hour while watching the tube.Much smoother now.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad,how can you be sure of that? You never know. Lee
Old 01-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mcawful

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

I didn't care for the rolling "block" either as the one on the newer stainless model they had on display was difficult to operate ... does that wear in and get easier?
Mine was a little stiff, so I squirted some RemOil down the sides of the block, and worked it for about an hour while watching the tube.Much smoother now.
I have also found that while thumbing the hammer back, I can flick the block open with the index finger of the same hand with no effort at all.
All in one smooth movement.