HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Getting your deer out of the woods? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/228402-getting-your-deer-out-woods.html)

IntroC 01-21-2008 04:33 PM

Getting your deer out of the woods?

I hunt public land and try to hunt the most remote places I can to get away from the crowds and to hopefully shoot better deer. This means hunting sometimes miles from any road. My question for those that do the same is how to you go about getting your deer back to the pickup with out dieing of exhaustion? Any good ideas? Thanks in adnvance.

petasux 01-21-2008 04:38 PM

RE: Getting your deer out of the woods?

If theres snow on the ground you can sled them out.They dont drag to bad on a sled.If not you can use a cart, make one or buy one premade.Seen a thing a few years ago that was basically a tarp you wrapped em in, cinched a cord up and used it to drag them out, never tried one but have always though i would work pretty well.

sabotloader 01-21-2008 04:41 PM

IntroC

Probably the most common way is to "bone it out" then pack it out

Or pack it out on back packs

Drag it out.

Put it on a game cart

Often I have wished I had just brought the salt and pepper, utensils, and pans.

Semisane 01-21-2008 04:42 PM

I use a game cart.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0053267228941a&navCount=3&podI d=0053267&parentId=cat601052&masterpathid= &navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20712-cat601138-cat601052&catalogCode=7IS&rid=&parentT ype=index&indexId=cat601052&hasJS=true

It's easier to walk back to the truck to get the cart to roll the deer out than it is to drag a deer along way.

wabi 01-21-2008 04:56 PM

I hunt private land after shooting a buck about a mile from the road on public land several years ago. It was also several hundred feet below the road level and it took three of us with a two-wheeled deer cart most of the day to get it back to the road.
Today I hunt private land and let John help me get my deer out.....
Costs me a few hours of labor every year to help the landowner (owner of the tractor)bush-hog, cut wood, etc.- but it's worth it!

Johnmorris 01-21-2008 05:00 PM

Just chase them closer to the truck ad then shoot them:)[:@]

cayugad 01-21-2008 05:17 PM

If there is snow on the ground, then we sled them out. If there is just leaves, then a cart is nice. The best thing is have friends. In the federal it is illegal to take an ATV in there off the roads. Also in Wisconsin the deer must be in tact when we register it. I suppose a person could bone it out like suggested, but then you would have to explain why you did that. You'd still have to haul all parts of the deer out.

I know the problem you are facing. I have shot some far back in the thickets, and when I was a young man, I'd tie a blaze orange rag on them and carry them out. Now, that is out of the question. I just can not lift and carry them deer anymore. Old age does that. Thank goodness for friends. During season we can call each other and we will help track or drag deer out when necessary. The best if when my buddy brings his two boys. I swear them too drag like a draft horse and do it to see which one of them will give out first. They can sure move a deer out of the woods though.

lemoyne 01-21-2008 05:17 PM

I bought a chuck of the Little Red River valley and put ATV trails in about every 100yds. Lee

frontier gander 01-21-2008 05:26 PM

If its a big deer, usually 1/4 it and take as much as you can carry comfortably.

You think a deer us bad, Try an elk :D

oldwun 01-21-2008 05:26 PM

I have used a cart ( easy) , Glenns deer drag ( work!! ) and finally someone gave me a plastic roll up sled from Wally World. With my treestand harness it is still work but it will slide over most things. On my place the Polaris does the trick but some places will not allow the ATV.