Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Ultimate muzzleloader >

Ultimate muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ultimate muzzleloader

Old 01-23-2008, 03:35 PM

Default RE: Ultimate muzzleloader

Tom, hope you get this...computer demons are having a party.
You are correct about more accuracy at lower velocities...fewer complications.But all that short range accuracy is meaningless when that buck isstanding broadside at 275 yards, a fairly easy shot with the Ultimate. And as far as short range goes, the Ultimate is not too shabby either. Two inch groups can be had at 200 yards. You can shoot from 1-5 pellets...lots of room for finding that special sweet combination...or shoot loose powder if you prefer. Shooting a 4 pellet load with a 300 Hornady I believe has more foot pounds at 275 yards than most MLs have at the muzzle. Its a bit like comparing a .300 mag to a 30-30. Overkill? Usually!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Trophy1, I don't have toworryabout long distances here in Virginia. The longest shot I havehad was a across an open field for a 183 yard kill. I didit witha 25 WSSM during gun season. The normal situation here is brush and then more brush. It can get very thick in these backwoods. I would saythat thisgunof yours would begreat out west in thewide open spaces for big game. If I was blessed and livedinelk country, I would see this gunas being veryuseful duringMLseason.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:04 PM

If you want a 500 yard gun buy a centerfire, defeats the purpose of a ML.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is the systym only to be used with pellets or can loose powder be used as well?

Thanks
Steve
Old 01-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

you talk of up to five pellets. 30gr. or 50gr. pellets??
Old 01-25-2008, 08:30 PM

This doesn't sound like spam/advertisement does it? New guy shows up with this much experience and knowledge about a cutting edge gun, askes a question that he should probably know the answer to already.....
I guess I am just one of those paranoid types.

Everyone to their own end I guess. Some M/Lers are happy with their hawkins shooting inside 100 yards and others are happy with their Encores out to 200.

Me, personally, past 200 I am using my 308 or my 300 WM. But, that's just me.

The cartridge case thing sounds like it would make the gun illegal in some of the stricter states.

Hank
Old 01-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I been keeping up with this. I don't know very much about MLers still as well as hunting (shot my first deer <75 yrds). I was plugging some numbers in for my 30-06 into one of programs. I though I put some others in.

One I would not shoot 500 yrds at a deer, if I could even see one at that distance. second, any muzzleloader can make a shot out to 500yrds but what would the energy would be?

pritty much zero at 500 yrds. and a lot of range time.

sorry, just had to put my $.02 in.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:25 PM

Hank, FYI ...we cant use a centerfire in S. Michigan or most people would. The Ultimate is our only realistic opportunity to shoot long distances. On my farm I could possibly shoot 500 yards. Maybe we should make centerfires illegal in your hunting area too. You use your weapon of choice, I'll use mine. I agree with you when you say you are just one of those paranoid types. This isn't spam or a blog. I'm a high school science teacher, not a gun salesman. You said I asked a question I should know the answer to... I was asking about a type and brand of bullet I personally have not used yet. How would I know the answer? I am not psychic! I was drawing on the experience of other shooters, and I end up getting criticized for asking a question and sharing what I know about one of the guns I own. No wonder lots of people shy away from discussions. I was excited about finding this hunting website. I think sportsmen should stick together. By the way, this gun is not illegal in any state. Donn
Old 01-25-2008, 09:42 PM

Corey, your point is well taken...90% of my deer are taken at close range...I actually prefer bow hunting! You are also correct about downrange energy for most MLs. Thats where this one is different. Look up the energy for a 300 WB. Ballistics are not too different than with the ultimate. Keep in mind this is a 300 gr. bullet. I personally would not shoot 500 yards, but I know guys who have done it successfully. Good hunting, Donn
Old 01-25-2008, 11:00 PM

Crokit andSteve; Yes you can use loose powder. I use 50 gr. pellets, usually 4, but I have been told that loose powder is ok too, but I have not used it myself. I have had the gun for two hunting seasons and looking forward to more range time next summer. I am currently using a 3x9 scope, but would like 12 or 14X capability for these tired old eyes for the possible long shot. Take care, Donn

Quick Reply: Ultimate muzzleloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.