HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Son's first deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/228121-sons-first-deer.html)

jhawk40 01-19-2008 07:53 PM

Son's first deer

My 23 year old son finall got hisfirst deerandalso thsfirst deer we have ever taken with a muzzleloader. Taken on a doe management hunt.Shot was a neck shot at 114 yards and he was shacking so bad I thought he was going to miss (this was the first shot he has ever goten to take at deer). He was not amiming for neck but his mother and I both asked God to let him get a deer and he guided the bullet perfectly. She dropped like a rock right there. Also his old Dad got his first muzzleloader on this hunt also but not near as exciting as his!!

frontier gander 01-19-2008 07:59 PM

RE: Son's first deer

great lookin deer. What was the load he was shooting?

cayugad 01-19-2008 08:02 PM

That is a beautiful doe.. a lot of good eating there. Congratulations on taking the doe. And as they say.. if you can't be good, be lucky. I will not be one to tell you I have not had lucky shots like that, because I have. I am guessing the excitment of the deer and all was a little too much for his aim. Which is understandable. I am just glad that it worked out so well for him and you. Good eating.

jhawk40 01-19-2008 08:10 PM

He was shooting a 240 44cal xtp in harvester sabot over a load of 20 grains of fffg app and then 80 grains of 777. I have found that the app cleans up the 777 a little and no crud ring. Can't get app to group by it's self but this mix works nice and consistent.

cayugad 01-19-2008 08:20 PM

That is an interesting powder combination. I never tried that. I have duplexed black powder with other powders but not the way your working it.

Old/New 01-19-2008 08:31 PM

Luck is always welcome in our camp. Congrats!!!

sabotloader 01-19-2008 08:34 PM

jhawk40

Congratulations! to all - it is epsecially neat when it is a family thing - to often now families are not interacting together.... Now you are bitten by the bug you will be ML hunting again next year.....

jhawk40 01-19-2008 08:42 PM

You may just be right. I have all kinds of guns and reload but I think muzzleloading is more relaxing and fun than all of them. Up until now all I have killed is paper but am now planing to go on a axis hunt in march and will probably take the muzzleloader just in case. Also as a side note my son's gun was a new optima that i got him as a after christmas present becasuse they had them on sale for a $169 and i had a $20 off coupon. I have a optima also that i got on clearence a couple of years ago and I think that this is the best fitting gun for me out of all i have.

Tenmilephenom 01-19-2008 08:50 PM

Congrats on the deer-sounds like you guys had a good hunt. Interesting load. Does the app help with the crud ring of the T7, and how accurate is this duplex load? Kerry

TNHagies 01-19-2008 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: jhawk40

He was shooting a 240 44cal xtp in harvester sabot over a load of 20 grains of fffg app and then 80 grains of 777. I have found that the app cleans up the 777 a little and no crud ring. Can't get app to group by it's self but this mix works nice and consistent.
That's interesting, hadn't thought of it that way. Might have to give that a try next time I'm out.

Congrats to your son as well!