HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Heavy or light? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/227854-heavy-light.html)

petasux 01-18-2008 08:07 AM

Heavy or light?

A couple friends of mine have been arguing about bullet wieght in thier muzzleloaders.The first claims heavier bullets are better as they do more damage, the other shoots much lighter bullets and claims they shoot flatter and are more accurate on longer shots.

Personally I shoot about a 250 grain bullet of one type or another in all my guns and never had a problem with either knock down power or accuracy once I found the right load.Theyre going to the other extrems, one shoots bullets over 300 grains, the other Ive seen shoot bullets as light as 165 grains.

What is the average bullet wieght you all use?

HEAD0001 01-18-2008 08:42 AM

RE: Heavy or light?

From 250 to 535 grains.

Bullet weight has nothing to do with accuracy.

I prefer down range energy over a flatter trajectory. A good hunter should know his distance, and his rifle. So trajectory should not be a major issue.

I guess that puts me on the side of liking heavier bullets. Tom.

petasux 01-18-2008 08:47 AM

Actually I guesse Id consider a 250 grain kinda middle of the road bullet wieght.

Im guessing theres more demand for heavier bulets thoughbecause its just about all anyone carries around here, even a 250 grain bullets hard to find after season opens, theyre all 295 grain or higher in the stores around here.

Read that wrong, I thought you said 235 instead of 535, Cant say Ive seen one that heavy

HEAD0001 01-18-2008 09:07 AM

I meant to say 525 grains. I cast that size bullet for my Knight MK85. It is a devastating bullet. I have shot two elk with this bullet. One was a 5X5, and one was a cow. Neither elk went over 40 yards. Both shots were in the boiler room. One shot was at 135 yards, the other shot was at 50 yards. When the elk were hit by the bullet-they went sick. Tom.

TNHagies 01-18-2008 09:15 AM

Bullet trajectory isn't a factor for me as I where I hunt you can't shoot over 75yrds in very many if any places. Therefore I use 300g XTP or a 385 Great Plainsfor deer-unless of course I'm shooting a PRB.

sabotloader 01-18-2008 09:19 AM

petasux

It really depends on the type of bullet you are shooting. Conventional traditional ML thinking has always been shoot a bigger bullet-make a bigger hole. This thought was actually correct when shooting soft lead projectiles. Lighter projectiles made from soft lead can blow up when shot into a solid surface such as a major bone. So the way to beat that is to shoot a heavier chunk of lead. When I am required to shoot conicals - I end up shooting a .503/460 grain Bull Shop conical.

On the other hand when I am able to use a modern jacketed bullet, other than a Power Belt, I do drop dowm quite a bit. Several people are having great succes with the Hornady 10mm/200 grain XTP, SST, or Shockwave. They are a tremendous bullet shot with a very high velocity offering "big lead" bullet energies. I personally shoot a Nosler .451/260 grain bullet for deer and a .458/300 grain Nosler Partition for elk. Both of these bullets offer controlled expansion to a given point - then they continue to drive and penetrate through the animal.

So for me it depends! Big lead in a conical - much lighter weight in a jacketed bullet.

nchawkeye 01-18-2008 09:25 AM

petasux...They also need to consider bullet construction...That has as much to do with penetration as bullet weight....

I don't agree with heavier bullets doing more damage, IF they are both constructed the same...Damage comes from the bullet mushrooming...Faster bullets will actually mushroom faster...If you are using the same powder charge and the deer are hit at the same range, the lighter, faster bullet will upset or mushroom faster....Now if it looses some mass passing through the deer, it might not have the mass for a complete pass through, this is where the construction comes into play...

While considering construction you also need to look at the tip....As a general rule, hollow points will mushroom easier than a sharper pointed bullet....

I prefer the 250 range weight for deer, but I can have 150 yard shots as well...A 300 gr bullet will not fly as flat as a 250, everything else being equal...

What bullets are they using?? What do you prefer???

frontier gander 01-18-2008 09:36 AM

use a 225 powerbelt in my .45 for deer. My great plains rifle is .54cal and shoots i believe a 228 grain roundball and that will be for deer and elk.

Just depends on what you like to use and what you feel comfortable with.

bowbender6 01-18-2008 09:47 AM

I shoot .357 cal 175gr dead center. Flatest bullet-Our shots are over open fields 100-150yrds. Still working on pushing it to 200 but don't feel confident yet. Have killed and found every doe (about 10 all chest shots) but they run 100-200. Sometimes bullet is against the far skin. Wind is a big factor. Check ballistice - wind drift - and that will determine which bullet is best for you situaton. 150 yards is 5-10" drift for most bullets with a 10mhp crosswind and we don't get many calm December days here in southern Michigan.

Chris W. 01-18-2008 09:54 AM

I've used bullets ranging from 250 gr. up to 410 gr. I personally like them a little on the larger size. The best terminal performance I've gotten out of any bullet was with a 410 gr. flat point conical.