Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 got two does this weekend >

got two does this weekend

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

got two does this weekend

Old 01-13-2008, 08:19 PM

Default got two does this weekend

i got two good shots this weekend, both right at 100 yards.first deer went less than a few yards the other fell dead. both shots were with a scoped z5 omega loaded with 45cal 451. 230 gr xtp hollowpoints and the mmp black sabots. the powder charge was 140 grs of 777 and cci primers. the first took a hit through both shoulders and made a mess but a super clean kill. the second was high and alittle far back in the lung areabut made a pass through and got some fragments in the spine, i reckon thats why she droped in her tracks. i still got a buck and doe to go and the rest of january to get them. i saw four small bucks this weekend and a good 8 point but couldn't get a shot in all the brush and hounds were after him so he wasn't staying around for lunch,the onlygood thing was he hit the swamp and lost the dogs. the 16th is the last day for dogs and its back to muzzleloaders only so the crowds will be back to the cities and i can get some good still hunting.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: got two does this weekend

little-d

congratulations on the does.. Nice shooting there. That is a good strong load you got there. Good luck with the rest of your season.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:50 PM

yes its a little on the heavy side but i got alittle over 300 yards of food plot in front of me and i want to get as far down there as i can , not that i would try that 300 yard shot at a deer but i have at targets and thats why not at deer if you know what i mean, i can hit good enough todo a 200 shot but its got to be still and i mean still and thats with the shooting vise.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 PM

i got two does this week end too on Fri i got one with my t/c triumph and Sunday got one at 250 yards with the 270. i still got two doe tags to go. got till Jan 27 to fill them.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

little-d,Congratulation on the deer,this coming summer you might find it quite interesting to work up a load with 200gr 40cal SW or 200gr 40cal XTP if your gun happens to like them with a heavy load they shoot really good for long range.Lee