HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Had to return my Triumph (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/226987-had-return-my-triumph.html)

Greenbay 01-13-2008 08:15 AM

Had to return my Triumph

I pulled my new Triumph out of the box to give it the initial cleaning before shooting and when I removed the breech plug I could not believe what I saw. There appeared to be rough edges in the rifling. I then ran a patch with solvent through the barrel to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing.

cayugad 01-13-2008 09:06 AM

RE: Had to return my Triumph

I am guessing you called Thompson Center and asked them about this.. or did you simply take it back to the store where you purchased for a refund? Some of the rifles do have ruff edges in the rifling. A simple patch with some JB-Bore Paste will usually calm the ruff edges down, remove the packing grease, and clean the barrel spotless.

Again, your choice. Since you paid that kind of money for the rifle I respect your decision. Plus I really can not picture the degree of roughness to which you refer. I would have cleaned it, shot it, and then seen if it needed to go back, but to each their own.

So are you getting a different one or going with a different brand of rifle?

Greenbay 01-13-2008 10:56 AM

I took it back to where I purchased it and they tried to run a cleaner through the barrell but the rough tool marks were still there. We then looked at another Triumph on the shelf and that barrell looked smooth as a glass. That gun had the camo stock and mine is black composite or I would have just taken that one home. They are ordering me a new gun. I am not posting this to complain......just bummed...I wanted to make some smoke.

HEAD0001 01-13-2008 11:48 AM

You should be complaining. there is no reason for TC to put out a product like that. How could they have given it a visual inspection?? I know two people who returned TC products for poor quality control in the last six months. There is no excuse for it, except that they just do not care. They figure most people will never know the difference. Tom.

Tenmilephenom 01-13-2008 12:43 PM

I purchased a triumph this fall also and the holes for the scope mounts were mesed up when drilled and tapped. They were good and said to send it back and they would fix it. I told them to keep it and they did and refunded my money. Couldnt get a bullet to go down the bbl with out a hammer any way and that was with crushed ribs and mmp-24s. I have a buddy that is all T/C and he said there quality is really slipping. Dont know about that as I will stay with my knights and whites!!! Kerry

lemoyne 01-13-2008 12:56 PM

I was afraid this kind of stuff would turn up when I heard Smith and Wesson had bought them out. Lee

Triple Se7en 01-13-2008 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I was afraid this kind of stuff would turn up when I heard Smith and Wesson had bought them out. Lee
I was thinking the same thing - the day the announcement came that S & W purchased T/C.

I just read a postabout a bad cut where the 209 primer sitson the Triumph breechplug. The primer would deform badly on contact - needing pliars to remove the remnant.

arcticap 01-13-2008 11:42 PM

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I'm not sure how the new owners caused it? It's basically the same employees and management that's running the daily operations of the company as before the purchase. Maybe there's an inspector that fell asleep, or is a new hire or it was a gun made on a Friday? :D

I'm sorry that it happened...

rafsob 01-14-2008 06:52 AM

Being taken over by S&W didn't make this happen. They had problems withquality for a while. That is why I gotrid of my Encore, ML and .30-06 barrels.

I still will wave their flag on the Contender handguns though!

alleyyooper 01-14-2008 08:11 AM

Maybe it was an inspection change. Instead of inspectioning every rifle they only did every tenth one.

GM removed their on line water test booths in the late 90's. They had a booth at the end of the line and tested every tenth car before it was shipped to the dealer. I can't even begin to tell you how many dashesI removed from the 89 Cadillac Devilles for a water leak around the heater module from a bad gasket seal.
:DAl