HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   how long have you been using one (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/226673-how-long-have-you-been-using-one.html)

meat_eater 01-10-2008 10:17 PM

how long have you been using one

HI I been hunting with a muzzleloader over 25 years long before the age of 209 primers. So to ask the question how long have you been using one. And what did you start out with and what do you shoot today?
I still use the 1st one I got its a TC Renagage 50 cal I also have a TC scout and a TC flintlockPA hunter my wife just bought me a knight revoultion but i have not shot it yet. I do not have a scope on the ones I hunt with as i have mixed feeling about a scope on a muzzleloader. but i have one on the knight and one day i will use it i'm sure I shoot 90 grains fffg with a buffalo round in my TC

frontier gander 01-10-2008 10:23 PM

RE: how long have you been using one

ORIGINAL: meat_eater

HI I been hunting with a muzzleloader over 25 years long before the age of 209 primers. So to ask the question how long have you been using one. And what did you start out with and what do you shoot today?
I still use the 1st one I got its a TC Renagage 50 cal I also have a TC scout and a TC flintlockPA hunter my wife just bought me a knight revoultion but i have not shot it yet. I do not have a scope on the ones I hunt with as i have mixed feeling about a scope on a muzzleloader. but i have one on the knight and one day i will use it i'm sure I shoot 90 grains fffg with a buffalo round in my TC
Started off with a cva blazer .45 " Inline with explosed #11 nipple and hammer"
Got a .50 cva staghorn as a warranty replacement when a gunsmith broke my cva blazer.
Ex girl friend bought me a Winchester X-150 .50 inline " Just sold it :("
Deer creek .45 Northwest side " Sidelock"
Traditions kentucky .50 flintlock
cva bobcat .50 sidelock
Lyman great plains rifle .54 flintlock

And now i want to build an early Hawken rifle with a .58cal GM barrel, "sidelock"

Ooops and i just got a TC New Englander .54 sidelock. Rusted bore so im sending it in to TC for either a replacement .54 barrel.. Hopefully they'll allow a 12g shotgun barrel to go on it if i ask nicely :)

mauser06 01-10-2008 10:30 PM

i believe this was my 5th season hunting with a muzzleloader.

started with a 50cal TC Hawken flintlock, and still the only muzzleloader i own...next will be a semi custom or custom...most likely going to be a big smoothbore...definently going to be a flinter. would like a 54cal or better roundball gun too...and a small bore roundball gun too...all flintlocks...i think a small bore roundball flinter would be awesome to squirrel hunt with...and the big smoothbore would be awesome to use as a shotgun and throw giant roundballs...

HEAD0001 01-10-2008 10:48 PM

I started with a Right handed Flintlock in 1973 in PA. I am a SouthPaw. I did not take me long to save up enough money to buy a Left Handed Charles Daly Flintlock. Tom.

corey012778 01-10-2008 10:52 PM

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Ex girl friend bought me a Winchester X-150 .50 inline " Just sold it :("

you sold it.

damn.
I just started this year, I have a usak #11 right now and have a musket if I want to play with pellets.

frontier gander 01-10-2008 10:56 PM

[&:] it hurts. Believe me, its tugging on my heart strings.

Michigan_Redneck 01-11-2008 01:06 AM

Well im 22 right now and ive been using one for10 years now. so yeah i was 12 when i first started. My first was a CVA staghorn which i still have and is actaully for sale right now and i think a guy is supposed to buy it next tuesday .... and i just recently bought a CVA Wolf and i love that thing so far. its aAwesome little gun!

Indiana SmokePole 01-11-2008 04:05 AM

OOOO about 40 yrs now first one I ever shot 50cal TC SL

wabi 01-11-2008 06:12 AM

Started off back in the 1970s. I believe I started with a T/C Seneca with both the .36 & .45 barrels. The .36 was a tack driver and I won several matches with it at a local shoot.
I'll always remember one 100 yard 3 shot match where I fired my 3 shots and the rangemaster informed me I had made 2 good shots, but one missed the whole target. I told him I didn't think it had missed but he insisted I shoot another shot. I loaded up & fired and he looked through the spotting scope then looked at me and said, "I guess you didn't miss after all!" I had a score of 30- 2X but it would have been 30 - 3X if they had counted the 2 balls through the same hole! I had put 4 shots in the 10 ring at 100 yards with it (offhand)!The .45 barrelwas too light to hold steady, so I didn't shoot so well with it. [:@]

petasux 01-11-2008 06:23 AM

Not even sure how long Ive been ML hunting, started with a .50 caliber Pedersoli sidelock, then went to a CVA sidelock in .50 cal, it never worked right {hammer was offset} and after 2 years with that I bought a Knight inline that took the #11 caps, and 2 years ago I bought a break action CVA wolf clearanced at the end of the year for 45$ at Walmart and have been using it.

Bought a .58 caliber flintlock pistol at an auction a few years ago and have messed around with it some but never hunted with it, someday soon I hope to buy a flintlock rifle and use it for deer hunting as well.