Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

finally did it!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: finally did it!!!

Good Job
Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 AM

ORIGINAL: fastflight1

I fail to understand how some guy's have no problem killing an adult doe with two fawns in her (which means your shooting 3 deer) thenslam someone for shooting a yearling.....

for one if i was slamming someone it would be alot more harsh then that.... i was just saying what was on my mind .. im allowed to do that .. were in america...
next i want to see you prove an adult doe thats shot always has fawns in her???????
Old 01-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Spike

Michigan Redneck,

Based on the last study the PA Game commission did based on hundred's of dead doe picked up on PA road's AFTER the hunting season's ended approximately 95% of the adult doe were pregnant either with one fawn, two, and sometimes even 3! You can see if you hunt PA Game Land's how quickly it would be to decimate a heard of deer if your shooting a lot of adult doe. They can make a fast rebound though if the pressure is taken off for several years.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Mauser! Still trying for my first with a ML. No luck this season yet.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Mauser, I shot my first deer ever many years ago with my slug gun. It happened to be a button buck. I was so proud of that deer. There has been many since. This year was my first with a muzzleloader......a button buck. Two weeks later I scored my second muzzleloader deer, a nice 145+lb doe. I agree there is nothing like watching the smoke clear and the deer laying right where you shot it. I'm 48 now and now realize what I'll been missing never hunting with a muzzleloader until now. I will take a button buck, thats good eatin!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:37 AM

congrats on the deer. look at it this ways it was a legal deer to take who cares what it was it was legal!!!!! here in Iowa they have a anterless only season in late Jan. its the only time we can use a rifle in the southern counties. we only shoot yearling anterless deer because we don't want to accidentally shoot a shed ed buck. be sides they are allot better eating then an old smelly buck . the reason they have the season is to control the deer population. cant control the population by shooting bucks. any ways two years ago i shot a descent 9 pointer and donated it to the hush program here in Iowa. i prefer to eat the yearling's. the older does and bucks go to the hush program.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats mauser! I got my first with the flinter 3 years ago...a shed antler buck. I was so thrilled with him. Since then I've managed to take a deer with my flinter every year...except for this one....still got a few days left though.

Congrats and good luck in the future....BP and sparks are addicting!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:13 AM

Mauser
No need to defend yourself against any kind of attack for shooting a button buck. What you did was perfectly legal, and appears you set a goal for yourself of any antlerless deer for your 1st muzzleloader kill. I personally won't gun hunt with anything other than my Optima, and I hope you get as much joy out of your hunts with your flintlock as as I have my gun-------a huge congrats to you

MI88
Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx alot guys i appriciate it..

just got done fleshing the hide some...got 2 good sized boar coons last night and decided since im already having the deer hide tanned, a coon hide will look good hanging too...i couldnt decide what coonhide i wanted tanned so im going to have them both done...why not for 15$ a piece..so i was fleshing for a while lol. 2x4 and the back of a big kitchen knife...far from professional, but good enough to get the hides salted till a professional can take over!

michigander, i guess i am defending myself, but i know theres guys out there like that...i dont let it get to me, but i dont know...guess its human nature to try to defend yourself when being called out...i really dont care...legal deer, awesome hunt, quick death, tasty meat, beautiful hide, awesome pics....yep, im proud of it and wont forget it...
Old 01-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Hey I'm glad you got your deer, especially w/ a flinter. I have never shot one. I have been shooting BP for yrs but never got to try a flinter.
For me I always take does in the late season because the bucks are therefor only one reason , an Estres Doe, soI always wait causeI like hunting and being in the woods. WhenI was just starting outItook acouplebuttons but I'm more experienced now and I have more knowledge. I don't really need more than 1-2 deer a yr so I trophy hunt more and that isn't a crime any more than it is to shoot a button buck. Legal deer, take if you like..
Congrats, Steve

Quick Reply: finally did it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.