Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

finally did it!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:20 AM

Default RE: finally did it!!!

Mauser way to go, Nice eating deer and one to be proud over with it being your first with the flinter. You will remember this deer more than any others thru your years of hunting. Those close up shots can be fun.

To many others put to much on what one chooses to shoot. They need to remember meat is meat weather it come from a young deer or an older one. I would of done the same as you and would of been whooping it up so every one could here me. Shooting a deer with a flinter is something that not every hunter does in there life time. once again congrats on a fine deer.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Mauser that is all veal cutlets
congrat:
you earn it I read a few of your post over the years on the PA forum
Old 01-05-2008, 12:48 PM

Mr. Mauser as for telling me to read the post... I always read before i post.. that just makes sense and i 100% understand your story there( "knew they were both yearling deer" - Mauser ).... i dont agree with shooting yearlings in general.. thats my choice. And i put what would have happened around here in our group we hunt with. maybe we have it lucky and dont think about shooting these cause we see atLEAST3 deer a night while hunting i dont know. But as with all Forums... its just my opinion.. you dont have to like it.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:10 PM

Yearling's are good eating. When you hunt witha flintlock, its a lot harder and whatever you shoot, is a big reward for your hard efforts. His button buck is decent sized. I've seen much much smaller deer shot.

What you shoot at when you are hunting is your choice. I think Mauser did a good job and got a nice one.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Mauser- way to go. Ya got some good eatin.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Good job Mauser. I did the same thing during out antlerless season this year. I looked really hard thru my scope to make sure it was a doe. Still didn't see his little nubs. I wasn't real happy but he'll go to good use. Maybe we'll both have better luck next time. Congrats again on your deer.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...

still thrilled over the kill. woke up bright and early to skin him running on verrrry little sleep..then hunted all day (guided a younger hunter and set him up for our drives...didnt even carry the gun though i could have)...he was buck hunting..his pap said no does till the last day for him..i saw 2 buck but they snuck out before they made it to him..other than that we had piles of slickheads moving around...good day...got back to the farm and quartered him up and put him in the freezer till monday morning. dad like kilbasa and sausage made...going to make an hour trip to his favorite butcher just for dad..

that ole roundball did indeed exit. dead center of the neck shot and busted the backbone and spine clean...must have busted the main arteries too...it was a bloody shot.

i will never forget the sound of the flint smashing into the frizzen(i can hear it and my lock is fast..wierd i know..) and watching the smoke cloud clear to see him down infront of me.

also salted the hide to have it tanned today. everything but the head..some reason ive never seen a tanned deer hide with the head tanned that i liked. just looks wierd IMO...should be a good looking hide...small, but good looking none the less...

what a year...first bow kill and first flinter kill...and my name is "Mauser" poor ole Mauser of mine might not get touched for a long while...
Old 01-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent deer, congratulations. I was3 years before I got my first deer with a FL, not easy for sure. A lot of fun hunting with that gun. I have the same gun, and I love the double trigger, makes shooting it easy. Chap Gleason
Old 01-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

congrats mauser - so what if it was a yearling. Its your first FL ML deer. And good eating. Heck next year he would have just had a bit mor meaton his bones and maybe a a decent rack - but you can't eat horns.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Spike

Congratulations Mauser!

I fail to understand how some guy's have no problem killing an adult doe with two fawns in her (which means your shooting 3 deer) thenslam someone for shooting a yearling.....

Quick Reply: finally did it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.