Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 good muzzleloader? >

good muzzleloader?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

good muzzleloader?

Old 01-02-2008, 09:55 PM

Default RE: good muzzleloader?

Ireally like my CVA Wolf. I have had it for a few years now and been vary pleased with it. I wouldn't think of replacing it except that my son will start hunting soon andI am going to passmy first ML, the Wolf on to himto be his first ML (wich will be his first hunting weapon). I'mdoing this, in the hope itwill start a tradition of passing down of the hunting weapon for my posterity (not worried if the CVA doesn't last to my great grandchildren as long as the tradition goes on). The down side is that I will have to replace my ML with something new . Some times it's hard being a dad.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to second Semisane... Ihad a .58 Zouave that looked brand new and shot great. I wondered if 70 grains of powder behind a 475 gn Minie ball was enough for hunting with the thing. Seemed like an awfully light powder charge for the caliber to take on deer and hogs. Tested it one day by filling a 5 gallon steel bucket with sand and gravel and backing off 100 yards.The Minie ball blasted clean through the bucket and knocked chunks of bucket metal out the back side that buried up in an oak pallet that was behind the bucket. The power was amazing.I was left with a whole new respect for those Civil War soldiers,wondering what itmust have been like charging into a line of muskets like that... Needless to say, I never had the slightest doubt about it's hunting power after that.

Also there was the old Tennessee poorboy style .40 squirrel rifle I had that was marked Turner Kirkland. It was a tack driver and real cheap to shoot. Downside was it was a bit of a bear to clean that 35" barrel.

TC Hawken... probably everyone who shot one has fond memories of it.

Not aone of thoseever failed to go bang the instant I pulled the trigger and all gave me great accuracy. Those are my three favorites.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

With dozens of ML's, it's not easy to have a "favorite" unless we are talking plural.

Sidelocks: 1970 T/C Hawken Kit.45 caplock (first ML), also have an old New Englander that I always seem to reach for.

InlineTie: Knight MK-85 Lam .50 (I think the most accurate ML I have).
T/C Omega SS Thumbhole .50, T/C Scout oct/round .50.

Tahquamenon

Old 01-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

MLKeith, mine acted like that to, untill I polished the inside of the barrel. I used jeweler's rouge we are talking polish not some grinding compound like JB bore paste. I never lapp the bore unless its absolutly necessary but a little polish makes them load and clean better and less crud sticks to the barrel hard. Lee
Old 01-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

TC X7, 28" Omega's & Hawken. Love my no namecustom LH tiger striped maple side hammer that one of the forum members told me about... Turned out it to be a great deal...
Steve
Old 01-03-2008, 04:29 PM

My old camo/blue Rem 700 has been my favorite so far this year. No big reason I just like it. It is every bit as accurate as my Omega
Old 01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

TC prohunter
Old 01-03-2008, 06:24 PM

i was loooking at the cva wolf too
Old 01-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

I have only owned 3 muzle loaders and 2 have been in white M97 .451 and the ultra mag in .504 the ultra mag is for sure a keeper it shoot T7 and pistol P well and 300gr. xtps in a knight black sabot. And the bullshop 460gr. are tack drivers. My next purchase will be the knight KRB7.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Savage 10ML-II without a doubt. I haven't shot my other ML's for since I got the Savage. It's a great rifle.

Mike

Quick Reply: good muzzleloader?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.