HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Future Hunter? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/225307-future-hunter.html)

TNHagies 01-02-2008 06:41 AM

Future Hunter?

Just thought I'd share w/you guys my a pic of my nephew who is from Chicago. Since they live in the big city he isn't able to go huntin' or even be around guns really. So every time he comes in for Christmas he asks if I'll take him to the woods-or "the jungle" as he calls it. I had to shoot out my gun at the end of the week so I took him with me. After I shot it out he asked if he could shoot it, so I put a cap on it and let him pop some caps. He was havin' a ball!Just thought I'd share.

cayugad 01-02-2008 08:28 AM

RE: Future Hunter?

That's a great picture. And a great memory of you and him in the jungle...

My nephews and great nephews (and one neice) are the same way. When they visit they always want to shoot a rifle.Or they stand at my gun wall and ask me thousands of questions about each rifle and what it shoots. They sure do like it when the thing goes BOOM! Of course they are a little older then that fellow there..

Maybe you have a future hunting partner.. thanks for sharing that picture..

MLKeith 01-02-2008 04:54 PM

Both of my son's wifes are pretty much anti-gun and do not allow the kids to have any. What really tickles me is that they make a gun out of tinker toys and stick together blocks. Needless to say they enjoy if and when they are around when the gun safe is open. Only time they get some real gun safety information and hopefully enough to keep them from getting shot around school if one of the goofy kids brings one in. I have tried to convince the women that gun safety classes might just protect their kids but they have a hard time seeing the real truth. Both of my sons are really "swimming against the current" in this area as they both know and handle firearms well.

Semisane 01-02-2008 05:56 PM

Ya need to figure out how to get those gals in on an informal shooting sessionat fun targets with a .22 auto.I've seen it change a mind or two.

Michigan_Redneck 01-02-2008 10:17 PM

That picture is priceless!

RobertSubnet 01-02-2008 10:47 PM

TNHagies:

Thank you for exposing a city dweller to the joys of firearms and "the jungle." Most likely you have planted something that he will be grateful for all his life.

I learned woodsmanship and howto shoot at camp at about the age of ten. However growing up in New York City, about the only time I saw a gun was when I saw a police officer. But I never forgot how much fun it was to shoot a gun and be in the woods.

Fast forward 28 some-odd years; having gotten laid off when the tech bubble burst in 2001, I moved to Arizona. Childhood memories pushed me to live in a place where owning a gun was considered perfectly normal (that and my fiance was out here!).

If not for those early camp experiences, I would probably still be living in some city sh!7 hole excuse for an apartment. Having no concept of the joys of "the jungle."

I "escaped," and thank God for it. You may have helped that young man do the same some day.

~Robert

SHills 01-03-2008 04:07 PM

TNH,
He is hooked for sure....
Great pic.
Steve

stretch56 01-04-2008 06:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Michigan_Redneck

That picture is priceless!
ditto