Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Little help from the pro's.. >

Little help from the pro's..

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Little help from the pro's..

Old 01-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Little help from the pro's..

I have a quick question if you will folks or at least I hope it's quick.

If you wanted a decent low end ML for a few days of use a season other than range time what would you chose. It's not that I am cheap but I'm guessing there are some pretty good toys out there. I'm not thinking of glass and suchcause I figure I will start with aOK base to put it on.

I have an old .56 TC smoothbore. (I think it was called an New Englander)as well as a Traditions in-line from when they first came out. Neither were bad guns but things have come a long way.. That round ball out of the TC was like throwing a marble out past 40 yds and was not a really knock down killer.

Thanks....
Old 01-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Little help from the pro's..

Dang...Like a marble huh...

That .56 will kill them quite nicely with a patched ball and 80 grains FFF Goex...

I've killed better than 50 with my .54 flintlock, out to 125 yards, with 80grs FFF Goex it drops deer as fast as my bow or .243 with a center lung shot...

I would guess for the money the Omega Walmart specials would do as well as any...I'm not big on buying cheap muzzleloaders or trees stands...You are basically making a pipe bomb everytime you load a muzzleloader, then holding to your shoulder and setting it off.....
Old 01-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

If you wanted a decent low end ML for a few days of use a season other than range time what would you chose. It's not that I am cheap but I'm guessing there are some pretty good toys out there. I'm not thinking of glass and suchcause I figure I will start with aOK base to put it on.

I have an old .56 TC smoothbore. (I think it was called an New Englander)as well as a Traditions in-line from when they first came out. Neither were bad guns but things have come a long way.. That round ball out of the TC was like throwing a marble out past 40 yds and was not a really knock down killer.

Thanks....
See this thread: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2543499for a very inexpensive gun.
I think almost any rifle made today is a good starter rifle, then if you like MLing, and enjoy shooting them, save up and buy a better gun and a better scope. Another option is a used MLer, they have a section in our local Want Ads devoted just to rifles and MLers, gunbroker.com is also good, no FFL required for a MLer.
Chap Gleason
Old 01-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try looking at walmart a lot of them are haveing stock clearnance of muzzleloaders and equipment; look for a Omega Z5 if you can get one [theres still some in our loacalWalmart for under 250 with thumbhole stock] for 200 or so they are the best buy for one of the best guns on the market. Lee
Old 01-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Spike

cva's are good from my friends experiences. they are available at walmart and gandermountain with starter kits for around 225 and a little more for one with a scope
Old 01-01-2008, 09:00 AM

The CVA Wolf and the CVA Buckhorn mag are 2 fine little rifles. Or
Traditions Tracker 209 is a great little gun all 3 of these guns can be bought for under $150.00 .
Old 01-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Indiana SmokePole

The CVA Wolf and the CVA Buckhorn mag are 2 fine little rifles. Or
Traditions Tracker 209 is a great little gun all 3 of these guns can be bought for under $150.00 .
I would agree with CVA! If I were buying an inexpensive one I would probably get the CVA Wolf.
I've had problems with Traditions warranty service, so I'd steer clear of Traditions.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

Thanks....
The smoothbore .56 performance does not surprise me. There is no rifling there to help stabalize the ball. An option there is get a .54 caliber barrel for the rifle from Fox Ridge Outfitters.

You old inline should do you fine for a few days out of the year. Do you really need to invest in another botton of the line muzzleloader?

Something of quality, not too expensive, and modern... the NEF Sidekick would be my first choice, although they have went up in price as well. Some of the blue Knight Rolling Blocks are around $240.00 if that is in your price range.. There is an excellent rifle and all you would need. Some of the Thompson Center Z5 Omega's are showing up reasonable. Then there is the BPI line of rifles like the Wolf.

Get to a store and handle a few. Or go out and shoot your old ones.. They might be old technology but they do the job. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:22 AM

I agree the wal Mart is a good place to look right now. A friend bought a Omega Z5 black thumbhole sunday for $239.00. Normally $298 at our stores. Also check hunting supplies. SW bullets are all gone but they were $7.99 a box.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&src=iMSTR0 7&prodID=KGKRB607C I really don't think you can beat that for combination of price and quality.

Quick Reply: Little help from the pro's..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.