Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 deer season's over - now back to testing >

deer season's over - now back to testing

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

deer season's over - now back to testing

Old 12-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default deer season's over - now back to testing

Well, the final muzzleloading season ended today here. No deer during this last 4 days, but I did get one with the muzzleloader during regular gun season. Can't complain, one shot - one "bang flop"!
Looks like all the testing of rifles, powders, bullets, and accessories over the year paid off.
Now it's back to the bench -testing new rifles, powders, bullets, and accessories for next season.
Already took the scope off the gun I hunted with this year so i can mount it on a new (to me) inline I've never fired yet and start looking for the perfect load for it! Figure I always need at least two "backup" rifles in the rack just in case.............[:-]
Old 12-30-2007, 06:36 PM

Default RE: deer season's over - now back to testing

Still tomorrow for ML season, then late firearm for antlerless jan 1-15 here. I'm already filled for ML and don't think I'm going to get an antlerless permit.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Well at least you had a good season and a lot of shooting to look forward to. I never saw a horn this year, but I had a good season. I did not have to butcher a deer, and I still have some from last year. The other day I was shooting a flintlock in a snow storm to see how it worked and what made it fail. So like you said, back to the bench and testing different things.. Good luck with your new rifle.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Our season doesn't end 'til the end of January. Have one doe it the freezer but need two more deer for the year's meat supply (at least one deer meal a week).

to I had every intention of taking a doe this morning. Got in my box stand neara 1/2 acre food plota half hour before first light. It started raining and kept going for about two hours. Figured a granny/momma/yearling doe family I have been seeing on a regular basis would show up and I'd take the "granny nanny". Sat there another three hours after the rain stoppedand the only thing to show up on the food plot was a young 5 point buck - maybe 130 lbs or so. Watched him for about twenty minutes and decided to let him grow. Went to take his picture and dropped my danged camera out of the window of the box stand . Fifteen feet to the ground - it bounced on the damp pine straw and took a picture of the tree tops. No damage. Ain't hunting fun?

Old 12-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Shame you was not hanging your head out the window far enough to get your picture taken there Semisane. Better luck next time with the deer hunt and the camera..
Old 12-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

My season ends on Sat. the 5thof Jan. I will getup in the mountains on Wed. and go out in themornin' the next day. Weatherwillbe very cold for here in Virginia. They are calling for temps in the mid 20's in am and no warmer then mid forties for a high. I don't care! I may be a little spoiled with warmer weather, but I will prevail.

I had a good season so far. The frezzer is full and I am stilllooking for the bigone. The last week of our season in my area is ifit is brownit is legal. I will onlybe looking for themonster that inhabits our area. He is a very handsome lad that has beenalludingus for sometime now. I had a shot at him earlier this season, but a sapling got between us and he ranoff to live anotherday.

Happy New Year to all.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do still have until Feb. 3 to fling arrows at deer, so the testing might wait until better weather in the spring.
My crossbow and recurve will get some attention now.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

My deer and elk season ended in the begining of Dec. Moose ended a lot earlier with a filled tag. I ended up getting 4 of the 9 deer tags filled. 2 Mulie bucks, one white tail buck and a mulie doe. I ended up butchering and giving 3 of the 4 deer away to family and friends and made around 100 lbs of cheese smokies and garlic sausage with the rest.

All in all it was a great season with 29 days spent in the bush chasing beer, moose and elk.

Have a great new years everyone

Eric
Old 12-31-2007, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

All in all it was a great season with 29 days spent in the bush chasing beer, moose and elk.
I've noticed a few folks that have chased beer before, sometimes it ruffs them up, so that they don't feel good, vomit and have bad headackes in the morning

Did that beer have a real gamey taste?[&:]
Old 12-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK deer season is over except for bow season which closes on 15 January. Shot four slickheads: One with the old CVA Staghorn and the rest with my Remington 700 in .30-06.Three were bang flops. Oneone shot with the 06went about 20 yards. Now i can concentrate on them hogs-they're every where.

Quick Reply: deer season's over - now back to testing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.