Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Stainless or not?

Old 12-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stainless or not?

Undrcoverrednek

Basically for the reasons that have already been stated...

Ease of cleaning
Accuracy
More resistant to rust andcorrosion

And really that is the big reason for me... I shoot T7 - no pryros - no BP - so in combination with the stainless and the T7 it works out perfect for me...

Basically because I am a bit of a renegade redneck myself. I do not do the cleaning everytime I shoot... in fact when hunting season starts I never really strip clean the gun until after hunting season and I use it during regular rifle and late rifle season - so it is on the go from October through December in some rotten Idaho weather.

I start off shooting the gun(s) which ever the case may be just prior to hunting season to verify accuracy... I'll shoot them 3-5 times - run three windex patches to dry patches and a very lightly coated Slip 2000 (lubricant) patch. I'll then load the gun for elk season and it will stay loaded until shot or until I think I might have contaminated the load... this year it was loaded on October 9 and was shot at a deer in early November (buck)... quick loaded for a possible second shot... not needed... When the gun came home - I pushed the load out - windex patched - dry patched - light oil patch... loaded it up again and shot it again at the end November - end of deer season... Repeated patch regiment - loaded again with a .458 Nolser for late season elk - shot on December 17 - cow elk... quick loaded.... load not needed... Gun was strip cleaned on Desember 20 and put away.This is my normal routine every year and with the stainless - I am quite confident in the fact that windex nuetralizes the T7 residue and the light oil application protects the bore in lousy weather.

I trust stainless to be tougher than normal blued ordinance steel. I have had my Remingtons 7 and 6 years now and they look brand new...

I am biased - I need to tell you that.... I also should mention my guns are much more consistent on fouled (or semi fouled barrel as I call it) than on a squeaky clean barrel and the area we he it is not practicle to shoot a squib load or primers every morning before going hunting.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Undercover,
I would goSS on a modern rifle. On the trad ones I like blued. You should never be able to wear any rifle out. I personally like SS because when you do scrape it or ding it the finish is still SS and not cabon underneath and it does resist rust much better.

I sure would check out Nikon and Leupold for your scope selection. The nikon prostaff is a very inexpensive choice w/ a lifetime warranty that really does mean something. Nikon makes their own glass too. I own one of the old buckmaster scopes and they are nice. All my other rifles have Leupold and they are real nice too. I have shot the VXI, II and III's. They buy their glass from and an unknow source that remains secret. I wonder who? Customer service is excellent from both..
For the working man I think there is none better. IfI was rich I would consider a Swarovski or Zeiss.
JMHO
Steve
Old 01-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

stainless will rust. just get a blued gun because its usually much cheaper. when you want weather proofing just check this out. ive had several done. i will get some pictures up soon. http://www.blackicecoatings.com/ lee does a great job.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Undrcoverrednek

Hi guys, I've been reading/researching here for awhile while saving up $$ for a muzzleloader. It will be my first and I want it to last for a long time (probably ten years or so). Is a stainless barrel worth the extra cost? I think I have just about made my mind up about a Knight Rolling Block and I was wondering if the $65 for stainless is worth it? I always clean my guns within 24 hours of shooting.

Also as far as scopes go, I'm thining Bushnell 3200 or Vortex Diamondback. Any opinions on those?

Thanks for the help!
For $65 I would get it, usually they are about $100 more. I only have 1 SS, and it doesn't seem to clean any easier or shoot any better, it just looks nicer in my opinion. ChapGleason
Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 PM

The difference with SS VS blue, Rust on SS usually wipes off or at worse, A pad of 0000 steel wool.

$125 for the blackice coating is steep.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

I would go with the ss. If nothing else I think it looks better.