Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Concave base

Old 12-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Spike

Default Concave base

I have shot the Hornady .452 300gr xtp with great accuracy out of my Omega. Well, curiosity and good reveiws have got the best of me and I received from Santa a box of Speer Gold Dots, .452 300gr. I noticed upon inspection that the base of the Gold Dots is concave.Any specific reason for this? I know a gun likes what a gun likes, but can I expect somewhat the same accuracy as Iget from the XTP's? The XTP's have been very accurate.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Concave base

ORIGINAL: Skopia

I have shot the Hornady .452 300gr xtp with great accuracy out of my Omega. Well, curiosity and good reveiws have got the best of me and I received from Santa a box of Speer Gold Dots, .452 300gr. I noticed upon inspection that the base of the Gold Dots is concave.Any specific reason for this? I know a gun likes what a gun likes, but can I expect somewhat the same accuracy as Iget from the XTP's? The XTP's have been very accurate.
They shoot exactly the same for me, I use the 300g XTP Mag and they have basically the same POI as the Gold Dot out of my TC Flinter, using a crushed rib sabot.
Chap
Old 12-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Same here.. they shoot the same for me as well.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

In my Omega they shoot the same, In the Triumph they take a bit different powder load. Also I think that the XTP opens a bit faster this would make me incline toward the Gold Dot for bear or boar and elk or moose while the faster opening XTP might work best on deer. It will depend somewhat on how heavy a load works for you. Lee
Old 12-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Spike

My Omega seems to like 90gr T7 ffg, Win 209 primer. I get great accuracy with the xtp's, both .452 300gr and the .430 240 gr.
Having a ball trying out different loads though.Tell me, does the fun ever stop?
I do believe in the saying though, "beware of the man with one bullet."
Old 12-25-2007, 06:58 PM

Maybe I missed the point of this thread completely since I can't really concentrate on what I'm reading but when a projectile has a concave base wouldn't that allow it to catch gasses upon firing and expand out into the rifling tighter?
Old 12-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

Maybe I missed the point of this thread completely since I can't really concentrate on what I'm reading but when a projectile has a concave base wouldn't that allow it to catch gasses upon firing and expand out into the rifling tighter?
I believe you may only see a difference in the two bullets using magnum powder charges. If accuracy fails with the Gold Dots using magnum charges, use a wonderwad or two wads between the powder and bullet. After doing so, you may need to either add or subtract 5-10 grains of powder - but your superb accuracy should return.