Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 american pioneer powder >

american pioneer powder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

american pioneer powder

Old 12-21-2007, 04:57 PM

Default american pioneer powder

Can someone please give me some insite on amp. i live in pa. using a lyman 50 cal. flintlock currently 90gr. of goex fff. powder. was looking for something cleaner. your opiones on american pioneer powder would be a big help. its hard to get a honest review.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: american pioneer powder

My experience with it was that it is very inconsistant. Shot good groupsone day and poor groups a few days later. Switched to another powder when the groups went bad and they tightened right back up - so it must have been the powder.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: nene08

Can someone please give me some insite on amp. i live in pa. using a lyman 50 cal. flintlock currently 90gr. of goex fff. powder. was looking for something cleaner. your opiones on american pioneer powder would be a big help. its hard to get a honest review.
If you're shooting a flintlock, stick with the Goex. It is the most sure way of ignition. American Pioneer Powder I tested in a number of different rifles, including flintlocks. The only way I could get even somewhat consistent igntion was to duplex the load. I dumped approxiamtely 15 grains of black powder down the barrel, leveled that load, then dumped APP (also tested Pinnacle that day) and used black powder in the pan. I got ignition, but got better faster ignition with just plain black powder.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:24 PM

Not a good choice for traditional rifles. I like it for my inlines, but I wouldn't trust it in a sidelock.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is VERY, VERY clean, but it is NOT as powerful as 777. Easy cleanup.It is about the same cost as 777.
Chap Gleason

Old 12-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

It is VERY, VERY clean, but it is NOT as powerful as 777. Easy cleanup.It is about the same cost as 777. I missed that this was for a FL, APP and 777 are not appropiate for a FL.
Chap Gleason

Compare it to 777. Chap Gleason

Old 12-21-2007, 07:04 PM

It aint going to do very good in a flintlock. Goex or any real blackpowder IMO is the only powder to use a flintlock.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Spike

I have to agree with most of the posters here. None of the substitues work well in a flintlock. The main reason is the ignition temp. Goex ignites at about 460 degrees but the rest of the substitutes ignition temp is from 600 to 800 degrees and from my expirements none of the subs got very good ignition especially the APP powder. Goex does take a bit of clean up but it is the only powder I will use in my flinters.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

It aint going to do very good in a flintlock. Goex or any real blackpowder IMO is the only powder to use a flintlock.
Your absolutely correct. I missed he was talking about a FL. He can duplex it with 10g of BP to get it going. Chap
Old 12-21-2007, 07:33 PM

Ive tried the 10 grain duplex with triple 7 and the first shot would be on and the next 2 would drop 11" from the first shot. Pyrodex does a lot better but you can hear/feel the difference. Its ok on a shooting rest, but out in an actual off hand shooting situation, that slightly longer Go off time can send you home either empty or wound a deer.

A bucket of hot soapy water does the trick for clean up. A couple windex patches and you're done.

Quick Reply: american pioneer powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.