Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 TC "Firestorm" Flintlock >

TC "Firestorm" Flintlock

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC "Firestorm" Flintlock

Old 12-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: TC "Firestorm" Flintlock

And as for your TV inquiry..Both of them are color TVs.
Come on, admit it Cayugad. They're color TVs, but they only receive Father Knows Best, The Ed SullivanShow, and Gunsmoke.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

And as for your TV inquiry..Both of them are color TVs.
Come on, admit it Cayugad. They're color TVs, but they only receive Father Knows Best, The Ed SullivanShow, and Gunsmoke.
You forgot Bat Masterson and the Rifleman on the Encore Western Channel...
Old 12-21-2007, 11:17 AM

Cayugad, You ever see the show Last Frontier, on the western channel? Thats a really good 1950's movie. Entertaining too.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Cayugad, You ever see the show Last Frontier, on the western channel? Thats a really good 1950's movie. Entertaining too.
Yes, I have. Victor Mature was in that one as I remember... It was a pretty good show. That is a good channel, especially when they show the old time frontier shows. Of course I sit that and pick the show apart and ruin it for everyone, pointing out the rifles are wrong for the period of time they claim to be in, or other such things... they hate that. But I do like that channel.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

This will be my second year w/firestorm, and I love it!! Started out using pyrodex pellets, then triple 7, settled on 2f, 80 grains, .490 patched ball.

I would also suggest that a small amount of powder be touched of{ just enough to foul the barrel } before loading. Works for me!! Good luck
Old 12-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

And maybe Santa might get me a Plasma Big screen for the main room this year after the Christmas rush and they come down in price...
Don't get the plasma get the LCD, cheaper and better. I upgrade my cable to High Definition, with just a 40" big screen, the faces of the people look like they are right in he room with you, it is that good. Get one.
Chap
Old 12-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Spike

It would be wise to listen to Cayugadand others concerning pellets with the Firestorm.Thompson Center is a reputable company...but to say that the Firestorm is reliable with pellets is just advertising hype! I learned this the hard way...having many misfires with the pellets.Any muzzleloader that depends on pan powder for ignition should be shot with real blackpowder in the barrel!As for the powerbelts...if you have to use them, use no more than 80gr of powder. These bullets do weird things(and none of them good) when used with larger charges. I do think that a tang peep would be an improvement over the stock fiber optic rear sight. My aging eyes have some trouble focusing with the factory sight.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: fastflight1

Does anyone shoot a Thompson Center "Firestorm" Flintlock?

Maybe you could share a preferred load of powder and if you use a roundball what type along with the patch? I have heard pillow ticking works well.

Trying to get the gun ready for the late season here in PA after Christmas. I'm just not happy with what I was getting at the range with 100 grains of 2F Goex powder and the Powerbelts. Also tired of paying out the nose for them when I can get 100 roundballs for $14.00.
I've hunted with one for 2 season on Pa and although I don't know what type of accuracy you're looking for, mine will plunk 245gr. PB's fired with 90grs. of 2f into a snuff can size hole at 50 yds. all day. 295's shoot ok for me, but the 245's closed up enough to notice.I muzzleload hunt like I bowhunt, so my shots are 50 yds and in, and that type of shootingfor that gun with open sights is ok for me. Oh yea, it shoots roundball well too, but I can't remeber what setup I used for that, as it's been2.5 years since I've fired them through it.

I posted in another thread that a good friend has one and he shoots Pyrodex pellets, 2 50 grainers with a shot of 2f down the barrel. I can't remember what bullet, a Hornady something, but he has never complained about reliabililty, or accuracy, and he's used that setup for a long time now.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Spike

I would like to thank everyone for their input to this threadconcerning the questions I asked about the T/CFIRESTORMconcerning shooting apatch & roundball out of it. I WON'T be shooting Powerbelts anymore, can't afford to!

Gosh I wasted a lot of money shooting those things.I had tried every load possible at 50-75 yards and even had them hitting the target sideways.... For those of you that can shoot them out of your "Firestorm" and feel confident you know where the bullet is going youra better man then me. The Firestorm Does have a 1/48" rate of twist and from what I have read and learned on here this is NOT the optimum for shootingPB type bullets. Just like with a rifled shot gun barrel the rate of twist is much faster to stabilize a rifled slug more like 1/26" twist.

Somehow T/C came up with this hybred flintlock about 10 years ago that's suppose to use both the 50 grainBP pellets instead of looseBP and these expensive new bullets or roundballs if you like. It's my personal opinionand experience that theBP pellets are best usedin a gun where a primer cap can be usedto ignite them like in a Muzzleloader (they work great like this)I'm not sure this"best of both worlds" thinking with the Firestorm is inline with their superior product philosphy.

I'm glad to here the Firestorm will shot roundballs fairly well but the ideal is supposably a 1/66" rate of twist. I guess this gun is kinda like an "All Season" Radial tire.They arebetter then summer tires on your car in the winter but still not like having a set of good winter tires.I will say this though about the Firestorm; it ALWAYS fires, which pleases me a great deal. I see guy's at the range with guns that will not fire. With a good English flint and the frizzen scratched up good you always get a great flash in th pan. It's just too bad you get that delay between the time of the flash and the main powder charge going off. That is hard to get used to not to flinch but I'm learning to rest the gun on something or against a tree to help stabilize things. Maybe someone knows how to decrease the lag time between the two charges going off? I put a tiny bit of FFF down the barrel first and shake some in the touch hole but doesn't seem to make much difference.

Bronko,

If this windy weather keeps up your probably right, stick to the valleys and find some hemlocks or thick cover, thats where the deer should be not on the ridges. I have hunteda large 300 acre Hemlock Swamp I like to stalk through with my nose in the wind and the deer like to crawl up on the Hemlock Hammocks and bed there. It's warmer in there and quiet.

Special thanks toCayuqad, Eldequello, and Crokit.By the wayMike you got ascreaming deal on that Stainless version of the Firestorm, that's what I'm shooting and with those supplies (which can add up mighty fast for blackpowder hunting) makes it all the sweeter. With that said I took the advice on here and went out and purchased 100 T/C 175 grain Cold Swaged Roundballs and .018 pillow ticking. The 100 roundballs were $12.00 and for that I couldn't buy 15 Powerbelts. It's back to the range again and I will use theff down the barrel and work up from 60grains with fff in the pan.Ithink what Crokit is saying about using a "fouling" charge makes sense. I have noticed my 1st shot when going to the range is always way out from the rest shooting with a clean barrel. I'm thinking it's best to goshoot a fouling charge before you go out hunting so everything is consistant.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: fastflight1

I would like to thank everyone for their input to this threadconcerning the questions I asked about the T/CFIRESTORMconcerning shooting apatch & roundball out of it. I WON'T be shooting Powerbelts anymore, can't afford to!

Gosh I wasted a lot of money shooting those things.I had tried every load possible at 50-75 yards and even had them hitting the target sideways.... For those of you that can shoot them out of your "Firestorm" and feel confident you know where the bullet is going youra better man then me. The Firestorm Does have a 1/48" rate of twist and from what I have read and learned on here this is NOT the optimum for shootingPB type bullets. Just like with a rifled shot gun barrel the rate of twist is much faster to stabilize a rifled slug more like 1/26" twist.

Somehow T/C came up with this hybred flintlock about 10 years ago that's suppose to use both the 50 grainBP pellets instead of looseBP and these expensive new bullets or roundballs if you like. It's my personal opinionand experience that theBP pellets are best usedin a gun where a primer cap can be usedto ignite them like in a Muzzleloader (they work great like this)I'm not sure this"best of both worlds" thinking with the Firestorm is inline with their superior product philosphy.

I'm glad to here the Firestorm will shot roundballs fairly well but the ideal is supposably a 1/66" rate of twist. I guess this gun is kinda like an "All Season" Radial tire.They arebetter then summer tires on your car in the winter but still not like having a set of good winter tires.I will say this though about the Firestorm; it ALWAYS fires, which pleases me a great deal. I see guy's at the range with guns that will not fire. With a good English flint and the frizzen scratched up good you always get a great flash in th pan. It's just too bad you get that delay between the time of the flash and the main powder charge going off. That is hard to get used to not to flinch but I'm learning to rest the gun on something or against a tree to help stabilize things. Maybe someone knows how to decrease the lag time between the two charges going off? I put a tiny bit of FFF down the barrel first and shake some in the touch hole but doesn't seem to make much difference.

Bronko,

If this windy weather keeps up your probably right, stick to the valleys and find some hemlocks or thick cover, thats where the deer should be not on the ridges. I have hunteda large 300 acre Hemlock Swamp I like to stalk through with my nose in the wind and the deer like to crawl up on the Hemlock Hammocks and bed there. It's warmer in there and quiet.

Special thanks toCayuqad, Eldequello, and Crokit.By the wayMike you got ascreaming deal on that Stainless version of the Firestorm, that's what I'm shooting and with those supplies (which can add up mighty fast for blackpowder hunting) makes it all the sweeter. With that said I took the advice on here and went out and purchased 100 T/C 175 grain Cold Swaged Roundballs and .018 pillow ticking. The 100 roundballs were $12.00 and for that I couldn't buy 15 Powerbelts. It's back to the range again and I will use theff down the barrel and work up from 60grains with fff in the pan.Ithink what Crokit is saying about using a "fouling" charge makes sense. I have noticed my 1st shot when going to the range is always way out from the rest shooting with a clean barrel. I'm thinking it's best to goshoot a fouling charge before you go out hunting so everything is consistant.
Spent a couple hours at the range yesterday morning before it got nasty, and had both the 245gr hollowpoint PB's and 250 gr. Hornady Low Drag sst's grouping nicely, right together, at 50 yds with a charge of 80 grs. of FF. I mistakenly wrote 90 grs in my last post. After checking my notes, it was 80 that I used last year.

Also shot a few rounds with 2 50 gr pyrodex pellets, and they seemed to do well. Seemed to go off as fast as the FF, but I was putting in 5-10 grs. of FF before the pellets. Not something I really want to mess with in the woods, so I'll stick to the FF.

Quick Reply: TC "Firestorm" Flintlock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.