Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Who Still Uses Roundballs? >

Who Still Uses Roundballs?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who Still Uses Roundballs?

Old 12-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Who Still Uses Roundballs?

I don't want to start an 'effectiveness of roundballs' topic, but I would like to know how many of you guys still use them. I was getting made fun of the other day for my usage of them and I got to thinkin' I bet there's a lot of people that still use them.

Granted they are not my only form of bullet that I use, but at least one week a year I hunt w/them out of my 1/48 Hawkins.I have the utmost confidence in them and know that any deer/bear/turkey that passes within 75 yards will be coming home w/me. (I can't shoot any farther than that where I hunt anyway)

Anyone else?
[/align]
Old 12-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Who Still Uses Roundballs?

When I am hunting close quarters, I often times go to the roundball in .54 caliber. Its a hard hitting very accurate projectile that for some reason I can plant a deer with. I also shoot roundball from one tree stand for basically the same reason. Although this year the Bison with conicals was the weapon of choice.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use them once in awhile. I have TC Carbine I syarted out with. I then bought a Traditions bolt action inline, and this year I bought an Omega. I deer hunted last year a few times with the carbine and roundballs. That's what I shot my first ML buck with. Like you said they are pretty good out to 75yrds. Probably mor in the right rifle. Roundballs are real killers the way they flatten out. Alot of sabots just blow through mostly intact unless you hit bone. There's not a thing wrong with using roundballs. People have been shooting them much longer than sabots.

chris
Old 12-20-2007, 08:49 AM
bigcountry

I quit this year. I went to conicals for good in my hawken. Just easier to load it seemed.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Spike

I'm going back to Roundballs after trying Powerbelts in my TC Firestorm.Many of these newer projectilesjustdon't seem to pattern well and are very $$$.

The TC Firestorm has a 1:46 twist I believeso it'snot ideal foreither roundballs or conicals. I still think it will still shoot better though with a roundball and patch.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love roundballs! They dont lead my bore and they clean while I shoot. I still use them and that is about all I use. I use them in my 58cal and 54cal.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just got myself a New Englander 50 cal and i have 2 boxes of Hornady round balls and few yds. of pillow ticking. So yup i use them![]
Old 12-20-2007, 10:22 AM

Still a newby at the smoke pole game but I did buy a kit lyman GPH Perc..54 1/60 last spring. It is a ball shooter, that is all I have ever shot through it and I did manage to take a nice cow elk with it. I enjoy it but have toyed with the idea of shooting other types of projectals with it. . .But I think when all is said and done it will be used as a ball shooter only and will stay my first choice for my elk early season stuff for many more seasons.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot maxi hunters in all my 50 cal MLs with very good accuracy. Some say they don't work in theirs. But my 54 cal Renegade likes round balls more than anything else I have tried in it. And in the areas I hunt, 30 - 50 yds is the average shot and that big old RB will work just fine for me.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:00 PM

Roundballs are fine for most game. After 50-60 yards they start to loose some of their hitting power but where I hunt this is fine. Of course you have to take into consideration that some of us(me) still shoot flintlocks. I wouldn't try to use them under a 1 in 48 twist though.
Rock Lock

Quick Reply: Who Still Uses Roundballs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.