Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accuracy Problems

Old 12-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Accuracy Problems

I'm shooting a CVA pro optima. 80 grains JSG. 295 grain hollow point powerbelt. I shot about 5 shots all over the paper (approx. 8 inch group) at 100 yard. All of the sudden I shot 3 shots within 2 inches. Shooting off a bench with good trigger pull and stability. Then my next shot was 8 inches high and left. Next shot was level and 4 inches right. I measure my powder with a test tube type measurer and tap on it until the powder goes down to 80 grains. I try to do the same thing every time with the load. How important is the exact amount of powder and is JSG any good for accuracy or should i go to something else.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:09 PM

Default RE: Accuracy Problems

Ive seen to many posts about poor performance from the JSG. I'd ditch it, switch to either Pyrodex or Triple 7.
You're also one the right track with 80 grains. Keep that as your Max load with powerbelts.
Also, dont tap on the powder measure, Use like a credit card "stiff paper or plastic sheet" and cut the powder off the top thats humped over.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

I'm wondering how tight the Powerbelts are in your bore.
If they're too loose, you might not get consistent accuracy, although Powerbelts can fit looser than most saboted bullets and still do OK.
I never tried that powder, but with those I've tried, a couple of tenths of a grain isn't going to make that kind of difference in point of impact.
Are you using a scope? If so, I'd check to make sure everything is tight.
Also - is this the first load you have tried in this gun? By that I mean, did you have good accuracy with something else?
If so, I'd go back to what you know works and make sure the gun and scope are ok - then you'll know it's some element of the new charge/bullet that's giving you trouble.

Good Luck

Old 12-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally would try some Pyrodex RS. A lot of times we forgo accuracy of a projectile for convenience of cleaning. Some rifles just do not like APP or their sister powders. Then, it could be with the powder you are currently shooting it might not like powerbelts. I find powerbelts shoot best with Pyrodex or Goex. Also I do not push them too fast. But your 80 grains while might be fine for a lot of projectiles, if you want to keep shooting powerbelts, try kicking the powder charge up to 100 grains. APP to me just does not feel as powerful as the other powders out there. I have no chronograph data to back up my feeling though.

Another thing you could try if legal where you hunt.. get some 250 gr Shockwaves and some 300 grain XTP's and try them with your powder. Or just get a different powder like Pyrodex RS and try the powerbelts. A lot of this is all experimentation until you find a load.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

"APP to me just does not feel as powerful as the other powders out there."

Exactly right. Tests run on BP substitutes by the NRA show APP and JSG to be much weaker than Pyrodex RS.

MadeJSG work well inmy Encore.There are some simple rules to follow if you want to use JSG:

1. JSG likes a very tight fitting sabot. The Powerbelt may not be tight enough.

2.JSGalso likes to be tamped very well.

3. Consistency in measuring is very impoprtant with JSG. Your procedure for measuring the charge may be inconsistent. Pourthe powder into your measure until it is overfull. Then strike it off level.Do not shake or tap the measure.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

BigSarge,Since I have gotten BAD powder from APP [same co.] I have a suggestion for you [there is nothing more frustrating than what you are experanceing] what I did and what I suggest you do is to get a can of RS and one of 777-FF and work up a load with each. Theres a number of possabilities the two I would look at first is bad powder and that you gun might not like that powder. When I experanced my difficulty with it it had been shooting very nice groups and when I bought some new powder it did just what you discribe. Lee
Old 12-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigSarge

I'm shooting a CVA pro optima. 80 grains JSG. 295 grain hollow point powerbelt. I shot about 5 shots all over the paper (approx. 8 inch group) at 100 yard. All of the sudden I shot 3 shots within 2 inches. Shooting off a bench with good trigger pull and stability. Then my next shot was 8 inches high and left. Next shot was level and 4 inches right. I measure my powder with a test tube type measurer and tap on it until the powder goes down to 80 grains. I try to do the same thing every time with the load. How important is the exact amount of powder and is JSG any good for accuracy or should i go to something else.
Here is what was published in Oct in American Rifleman on velocity performance of JSG. It is was the most variable powder. Since you having problems switch to Pyrodex or 777 loose. Chap Gleason

Old 12-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: BigSarge

Here is what was published in Oct in American Rifleman on velocity performance of JSG. It is was the most variable powder. Since you having problems switch to Pyrodex or 777 loose. Chap Gleason

Here is the data on 777 and you can see that the powder is more consistent shot to shot. Now I don't think it would cause 8" difference, but if you had loose PBs and inconsistent velocity in the PB, then I think that combination is trouble. Chap Gleason

Old 12-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would definitely try another powder and get rid of Ol' Mr. Traitor's Gold. Ever since he points to his "buddy shooting his 5000th shot shooting a TC(actually knight disc) I have no respect for him, he is so cheap he can't be honest, he had to dub over the original commercial....ok off of the tirade....

I have had great luck with T7 and Pyrodex RS in the past...
Old 12-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Those charts are good information... thanks.

Quick Reply: Accuracy Problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.