Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 which black powder??? >

which black powder???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

which black powder???

Old 12-18-2007, 09:04 AM

Default RE: which black powder???

You method sound sinceable to me..I have heard some of the
solvents with ammonia will ruin your barrel..So it's soap and water
with all black powder or subs...
Old 12-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

johnny2, water by it self will clean 777 good, I would suggest very hot water so that thebarrel once it is hot will help rey it self and reduce the chance of rust.
There are other things that work quite well especally in the field the mizture of alk. and windshield warsher is in commen use by the guys here also windex with viniger [there are other versions of windex out so look careful].
blondiez24, At this time there is no powder available that does not have draw backs of some sort, with 777 you need to wipe every shot to maintain the kind of accuracy some of us want and some guns get "crudring " to the point where it is practically unuseable, Pyrodex is one of the most reliable and stable and very corrosive [more so than 777], I had very good luck with APP both the pressure and the velocity were moderate so I used a bit heavier loads but it did not smell bad and it was so clean I never wiped between loads but I got some bad powder [two cans in a row ] that did not shoot with the same accuracy so I quit using it.
Some of us have high hopes for the new Blackhorn 209, my advice would be to hang tight and watch the fourm and your supplier and try it before you switch to any thing. Lee

Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm pretty much in agreement with Tahquamenon's assessment, except that I believe Pyrodex to be the MOST corrosive (but it is very good powder otherwise). With rotten egg smell, it's only a matter of degree - how much rotten egg smell one likes.

Just wish they would bring out a perfected formula/process version of BM3 for about $10/lb.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

I thought you guys would get a good LYAO with my aroma reference to Pyrodex = "stinks like dead eggs that were stored for three yearsin a skunk's rectum" []

If BM3 shows up at $10/pound good luck finding any because I will have purchased all of it.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Pyrodex is THE most corrosive powder from the tests I ran on a steel lawn mower blade about a year ago. The speed in which Pyrodex starts to rust would shock a lot of people. The other powders, even Goex was much more TIME forgiving.

The cleanest powder I ever shot was Black Mag3 with Pinnacle a very close second. APP was also another very clean powder to shoot. But the question is not always what is the best to clean, but what is the most accurate. I personally shoot a lot of black powder. Why? Cost effective, excellent properties, easy to clean, but it does stink. But a little stink never bothered me. I guess I have a higher stink-O-meter level.

Try some Triple Se7en and Shockey Gold pellets/sticks. Which ever one produces the best accuracy
Old 12-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

So has anyone had any accuracy issues with the t7 pellets? I usually site in1" high at75 yards. Usually every bullet is touching at 75 sometimes looks like I missed, and you'll see an edge of one of the other bullet holes widened. I really like the accuracy, but I was hoping maybe the pellets would shoot as good, and be a little cleaner, and odorless. From what I hear t7 gives the best power(speed per grain) and cleanest, odorless smell. I am getting info from people that just got started in muzzleloading a few years ago, and have prolly never used anything but. I only use my ML for hunting I like to be accurate out to 150 yards. I do maybe 4 or 5 shots a year. So cost isn't really an issue. I just want the powder that will ignite the best without a misfire, and be accurate, and easy cleanup. Give me some good ones to look at. Thanks alot guys
Old 12-18-2007, 02:13 PM

Pyrodex smells worse than goex so triple 7 might be the way to go. Triple 7 did ok for me but it wasnt reliable enough after i opened the can and used it for a month.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Tahquamenon,

What granualation of Swiss are you using and what caliber and loads do you use. I bought some Swiss 2f to try out in my 1/28 twist Green Mountain barrel, with 300 and 250 grain Hornady xtp's. I have not shot much of it yet and probably won't complete my testing of it until spring weather. Are you using 3f? in a .50 cal. with sabots?