HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   broke the bladder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/222650-broke-bladder.html)

slsail 12-14-2007 03:27 PM

broke the bladder

Slim chance i may have ruptured the bladder in dressing the deer last night.
We were able to flush the inside f the deer with a hose and fresh water with in 1/2 hour of the field dressing operation.

What happens when the bladder is ruptured??

wabi 12-14-2007 04:16 PM

RE: broke the bladder

You get some urine inside the body cavity if you did it while the deer was on it's back and you were removing the viscera. Wash it out, and the meat will be fine.

cayugad 12-14-2007 04:20 PM

The bladder simply collects the urine of an animal before passing. If it is opened by accident during the field dressing operation, the urine is then spilled into the body cavity. A simple flushing of the internal body cavity with water is all that is needed to remove traces of any urine. Also urine is not as dangerous as some people believe unless it is allowed to stagnate. In your case it sounds like you had the problem taken care of. I've eaten deer that have been shot through the bladder, intestines, and stomach with no ill effects. All we did was, as soon as possible clean out the body cavity with a garden hose.

Enjoy your venison.

falcon 12-14-2007 04:28 PM

ialways carry a couple of gallons of water in the truck box to flush out the deer after it is field dressed. This gets much of the blood and goo out before it dries. Also like to hoseit out ASAP.

frontier gander 12-14-2007 05:23 PM

That happens to me just about on every deer. If it doesnt break, it leaks a little. Just wash it out good and rub the area down with your hand while you wash.

sjsfire 12-15-2007 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: slsail

Slim chance i may have ruptured the bladder in dressing the deer last night.
We were able to flush the inside f the deer with a hose and fresh water with in 1/2 hour of the field dressing operation.

Same thing as the others. Wash it out good and your meat will be fine. I've done it more than once. First time for youeh?? Probably won't be the last.

slsail 12-15-2007 11:06 AM

Thanks guys for the responses.
I really like this forum hope to spend some time hear to learn and help otherslike you all have helped me
Merry CHRISTmas.

Semisane 12-16-2007 10:51 PM

One good idea I picked up from an old timer in our club - carry one of those "el-cheapo" one or two gallon plastic garden sprayers full of water in your truck. Does a real good job for flushing out a body cavity with just a little water.

HEAD0001 12-16-2007 11:59 PM

That is absolutely the worst, most disgusting thing I have ever heard. You need to get that deer over to my garage immediately. Tom.

Tahquamenon 12-17-2007 12:36 PM

Boy I can't imagine a more nasty experience than field dressing a gut-shot deer.

[:'(]

Helped out on one last weekend and boy was that critter ripe!!!

Rinsingout the cavity afterward is all that was needed.