HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Barnes bullet performance,, Outstanding!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/222434-barnes-bullet-performance-outstanding.html)

whitetailcrazy 12-13-2007 08:33 AM

Barnes bullet performance,, Outstanding!!!

During this past ML season in IL, I had taken a coyote with a Barnes 245 grain Spit-fire bullet. I had taken a good deal of deer with this bullet, but have been unable to recover the bullets due to pass through performance. This past weekend my buddy and I had taken 2 female yotes using these bullets. I was able to recover my bullet in the ground 5 yards behind my yote, due to the fact I was hunting from a tree stand and the shot was only 30 yards away and we had 3 inches of snow on the ground and I was able to see the point of impact.

I am extremely impressed at the expansion of the bullet, the entrance holes were the diameter of the bullet, but the exit holes were the size of a grapefruit. I would definately not recommend these bullets to people who were wanting to save pelts!!

I was curious to see the weight retention of this bullet. So I took the bullet and put it on my grain scale and it weighed exactly 245 grains, thats 100% weight retention,,,,,,,,,,,, that's remarkable!

Here's the bullet which I had recovered.....................

cayugad 12-13-2007 08:36 AM

RE: Barnes bullet performance,, Outstanding!!!

Your results are not uncommon. The all copper bullet gets excellent expansion, razor sharp cutting edges on the petals, and excellent weight retention. Its what makes them such an excellent large game projectile and a terrible small game one.

Nice job on the coyotes.

Zugunruhe 12-13-2007 08:38 AM

Very cool! What sabot is that?

cayugad 12-13-2007 08:43 AM

Those are the sabots that come with the bullets. I believe they are a MMP E-glide or something like that. It helps them load better. Sabotloader would know for sure.

whitetailcrazy 12-13-2007 08:46 AM

Those sabots are from Barnes, specifically made for their boattail ends....... If you go to the Barnes website, they say not to use any other sabot with this bullet, because the boatail does not seat properly. Their definately not E-Z glides, cause their a pain in the a$$ to put in.. Although MMP may make them for Barnes.

Here's another pic of that bullet!

whitetailcrazy 12-13-2007 09:01 AM

Here's a pic of the yotes........

gleason.chapman 12-13-2007 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: whitetailcrazy

During this past ML season in IL, I had taken a coyote with a Barnes 245 grain Spit-fire bullet. I had taken a good deal of deer with this bullet, but have been unable to recover the bullets due to pass through performance. This past weekend my buddy and I had taken 2 female yotes using these bullets. I was able to recover my bullet in the ground 5 yards behind my yote, due to the fact I was hunting from a tree stand and the shot was only 30 yards away and we had 3 inches of snow on the ground and I was able to see the point of impact.

I am extremely impressed at the expansion of the bullet, the entrance holes were the diameter of the bullet, but the exit holes were the size of a grapefruit. I would definately not recommend these bullets to people who were wanting to save pelts!!

I was curious to see the weight retention of this bullet. So I took the bullet and put it on my grain scale and it weighed exactly 245 grains, thats 100% weight retention,,,,,,,,,,,, that's remarkable!

Here's the bullet which I had recovered.....................

Thing of beauty! The way it should be---accurate, expanding to 2x, shoot thru, 100% weight retention, deep penetration, bone breaking if it hit it, see "Black Powder Bullets Thread". Chap Gleason

mayguy 12-13-2007 11:27 AM

I also have had excellent results with theBarnes bullet. I shoot the 290 gr TMZ. In the last 3 yrs I have harvested 4 deer with this bullet and 3 dropped in there tracks and 1 ran less than 20 yds. I just shot the last one 3 days ago, a front on neck shot, and the exit hole measured 2 1/2 by 3 inches. There wasn't even any hide left at the exit hole, just some chunks of meat hanging out that looked like hamburger. Realy a nasty looking hole.
I used the Knight brand with there blue easy load sabot. They load easier than the yellow ones but not buy much. I don't think you have to use their sabot because other botail bullets come in HPH sabots ( Buffalo for one). I have tried HPH 24 with a sub base under them with good success ( two of the four that I killed were with that combination). I plan on trying some other sabots later on. The yellow sabots are REALLY !!! hard to load in my Omega.

sabotloader 12-13-2007 12:08 PM

whitetailcrazy

They are MMP, made under contract for Barnes and they are EZ glides in some rifles, like older Knights and .504 Whites. The sabot is about the same size as a HPH-12. The other thing that you brought out - they are made for a boattail bullet, also look at how short the the slit between petals is... this helps hold the boattail in place.

MMP does not offer a sabot to the public that will replace the EZ glide so you can shoot a thinner sabot and a barns boattail bullet. Anyway the last time I asked they were not making a public available boattail sabot.

cherokee75 12-13-2007 01:17 PM

Two less coyotes in IL sounds good to me. I downed one during the first IL firearm season with my Omega. Anyway, I have noticed in reading many threads that nobody ever seems to complain about tthe Barnes bullets as far as performance goes. The onlly gripe I seem to hear is about the price. I am thinking when my supply of Shockwaves runs out, I may see how accurate the Barnes bullets are in my gun.