Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 My Lead Sled Purchase; On sale at Midway >

My Lead Sled Purchase; On sale at Midway

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My Lead Sled Purchase; On sale at Midway

Old 12-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My Lead Sled Purchase; On sale at Midway

gleason.chapman

Chap, I do not have a lead sled nor have I ever used one. I have looked at one in Sportsmans but that is about it....

I have a "concern"

If the lead sled stops all the rearward (recoil) movement of the rifle I am concerned about the action in the stock. It seems that would put an awful stress on the stock and mounting screws. Rifles are designed with the thought that the recoil of the gun would be there and dampaned buy your shoulder moving to the rear.

Now if the lead sled has some way of allowing recoil movement - like a hydraulic damping then all should be well - but if it is solid and you pile on the led - I forsee some problems...

Just my thoughts and I probably do not know what I am talking about since I never even considered something other than myself absorbing the recoil.

???????
Old 12-11-2007, 05:08 PM

SL, As you know, my shoulder stops all rearward (recoil) movement and no problems with any of my rifles!

Truthfully, I seriously doubt the Leadsled stops ALL rearward movement. The recoil pad allows movement, the part where the recoil pad rests allows some movement I would guess and I imagine the sled itself might move a little with the recoil. Why else would it be called a sled?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm looking to get one! I believe Cabelas has them on sale for $99.00 as well!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

cdad

I said I did not know enough about the sled but just threw out some thoughts... if you put the recoil pad against an immovable object - that will not be enough to stop the possible eventual damage - at lest in my mind....

Old 12-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

gleason.chapman

Chap, I do not have a lead sled nor have I ever used one. I have looked at one in Sportsmans but that is about it....

I have a "concern"

If the lead sled stops all the rearward (recoil) movement of the rifle I am concerned about the action in the stock. It seems that would put an awful stress on the stock and mounting screws. Rifles are designed with the thought that the recoil of the gun would be there and dampaned buy your shoulder moving to the rear.

Now if the lead sled has some way of allowing recoil movement - like a hydraulic damping then all should be well - but if it is solid and you pile on the led - I forsee some problems...

Just my thoughts and I probably do not know what I am talking about since I never even considered something other than myself absorbing the recoil.

???????
Mike,
Never having owned one, I really can't say. Your concern makes sense. Chap
Old 12-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can understand strappinga gun in a sled occasionally to check the gun or a loadfor ultimate potential accuracy - but is that really shooting? Seems like it would get boring.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 PM

I've heard good and bad about the lead sled, but haven't tried one myself. I heard complaints similar to what Sabotloader is concerned about, but moreso with damaging scopes than anything else.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Branson

but moreso with damaging scopes than anything else.
Had not thought about that one - but that really could be a concern for me....
Old 12-11-2007, 10:15 PM

First, I don't have one or do I ever plan to own one, but I would not hesitate to use one. I don't believe it is an immovable object. If you put a gun up against a tree, then I think you will have a problem.

Anyone care to guess how many of these sleds are being used? Hundreds, maybe thousands? I have read reports of them causing scope problems, but how many have scope problems without using the sled? LOTS.

But, regarding scopes. Think if an action/barrel/scope is clamped into an absolutely solid vise. The gun is fired and the action/barrel/scope combination stays still. What kind of movement, or force is exerted onto the scope? More or less than a gun that is shot free recoil?

This logic is why I think there is no effect on gun or scope.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Spike

There are quite a few posts on various forums that express the same concerns that sabotloaderpointed out. I actually purchases one and returned it after hearing about damaged scopes and POI changes.

Check here:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=960791&highlight=#960791

Quick Reply: My Lead Sled Purchase; On sale at Midway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.