Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What do you think of the CVA Optima? >

What do you think of the CVA Optima?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do you think of the CVA Optima?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default What do you think of the CVA Optima?

Hey, What do you think of the CVA optima? My dad has used a TC Renegade with open sights for years but his eyesight is not what it once was, so I'm thinking of getting one of the camo thumbhole stock nickel finish for him and put a nice nikon on it. I can't really swing the Optima pro right now but for 229.00 I thinking he would really like the inline shooting.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you think of the CVA Optima?

A guy I hunt with has one and he loves it. I think its a great shooting gun he gets good groups using a 250 gr. shock wave. Real easy gun to clean.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:28 AM

I have one, with a bushnell 3200 2-7 on it. I shoot a little over 1.25" groupswith 250 grain sst's and 2 pyro pellets out of it. Not the most expensive or prettiest gun,, but it is definitely "minute of ribs" out to 150 yards!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:25 AM

I have the Optima Pro with the thumb hole stock not a hole lot of difference,I love the gun and very simple to clean.I think your father would be very happy.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:36 AM

TC209----Just an idea here for you to think about..If you dad really likes the rifle he has and is used to it..Why not consider have the rear sight moved forward a few inches..
I have seen a few old timers do this and it works great..I know of one guy that does alot of shooting and goes to several shoots a year..His rifle has 4 different dove tails cut in it from moving the rear sight forward over the years..

For those who have never heard of this-Believe me-It does work...You can try it yourself by holding a hand gun closer to your eye and look at the sights if not clear they will be when you move the gun farther away....

Like I said-Just a thought...
Old 12-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Dominant Buck

I am sure the rifle would be just fine.

He is another option your Dad might like.. It sure worked for me and I have the same eye sight problems.

That is my Renegade with a Green Mountain Fast Twist 1-28 barrel (stainless) and a 1X T/C Hawkins scope on a T/C base mounted. The only thing about this rifle is ... HEAVY!!! It is not something you want to carry around all day long. But for in a stand it does perfect. I shoot 120 grains of Goex or Graf's black powder and a 300 grain .430 XTP out of a crushed rib sabot. Deadly rifle there.

Perhaps he would like to stick with the traditional aspect. So all you would need is the base from Fox Ridge Outfitters ($45.00) and a scope like the Nikon Pro Staff, and some Warne QD rings.. And a fast twist barrel from Green Mountain if you want him to shoot 200 yard shots....

Of course all of that would cost more them the Optima. So I am sure he will love the Optima since it comes from you... I know my Dad is that way.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:58 AM

i just wake up and i have to look at a scoped traditional rifle? Thanks a lot cayugad! You've just made my day!
Old 12-09-2007, 05:48 PM

Got one for my Dad a couple of years ago. Shoots 1-2" groups @ 100 with 250gr sst or shockwave and 2 t7 pellets. Good gun for the money. Only complaint trigger is not real smooth.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have one and it shoots good.I get 1 inch groups at 100yds with a 295gr powerbelt and 100 grains of triple seven.Not the best looking gun but it shoots good and is easy to clean.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Spike

THE OPTIMA IS A GREAT SHOOTER. I HAVE ONE ALONG WITH MY SON AND SEVERAL FRIENDS. MY FRIEND SHOT A 6 POINT AT 185 YDS DROPED IN ITS TRACKS, SHOOTING HORNADY BULLETS.

Quick Reply: What do you think of the CVA Optima?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.